Cleaner wrasse, cleaners? Or fish nibblers?

LadAShark

https://oceana.org/blog/certain-mental-tests-tiny-cleaner-wrasse-outperforms-chimps
Stumbled upon this really interesting read about the cleaner wrasse. For one, it looks like in some ways they have better memory than most of us, myself included 😉, but it also turns out they like to nibble on their fellow fish, especially those that aren’t able to eat them/those that stick around in the neighborhood. Which, as far as I can tell, can be taken to mean that a hungry enough cleaner wrasse isn’t just going to bug its fellow tankmates, but also potentially take bites out of them.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, xxkenny90xx said:

Thanks for the link! Very interesting stuff. I feel like research like this for reef fish is rare so it really was a great read

It’s a shame but that is the case. Some reef fish seem to exhibit remarkable behavior and intelligence, it would be very interesting to know a lot more about the fish we keep. This does explain, for example, why the cleaner wrasse can actually bother fish in our tanks if they don’t take food we give readily. It’s because they are eating our fish! 🤣

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1