I need help choosing an ATO!

juan

My current ATO is starting to fail, and I need to find a new asap.  

I’ve been looking at these nano ATO’s but not sure if they’ll work with the all-in-one setup compartments, as in how they have the black plastic on the glass? The other options is the nano tunze but I’m not really in floats, but heard these are trustworthy.

If you guys have some experience with these or insight’s that would be so helpful, or even any for sale?

017932D5-C709-4229-8280-E4CB1D2EA7E2.png

C0F0C563-03DB-4F9C-8BAB-854864A50C42.png

557C166D-C5BD-47CB-B81C-0C056A7A1942.png

I went with the tunze nano, been working great.. except for the one weekend I went away and it got stuck lol but other than that been working fine, I don't ever really let the top off container run dry but I think that's a complaint about the tunze pump not restarting correctly, that and it only uses one float valve

8 minutes ago, bler said:

I went with the tunze nano, been working great.. except for the one weekend I went away and it got stuck lol but other than that been working fine, I don't ever really let the top off container run dry but I think that's a complaint about the tunze pump not restarting correctly, that and it only uses one float valve

thats what I’m afraid of, it getting stuck when I’m gone lol 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, juan said:

thats what I’m afraid of, it getting stuck when I’m gone lol 

I kinda think you always have that possiblity with any technical automation systems, nothing is completely fail safe!

I'm not exactly sure what happened with mine, I think the float just got stuck, I'll be going for a week long trip here soon but will have someone sitting the tank but it will be a real test for sure 🙂

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

A little pricier, but uses an optical sensor vs. float switch (has a float switch for emergency shut off).  I think you can change it to "nano" mode as well.  Been serving me well (I've also an AIO), just make sure it's not near real turbulent water or bubbles as that can impact the operation of the optical sensor.

7 hours ago, MReef20 said:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

A little pricier, but uses an optical sensor vs. float switch (has a float switch for emergency shut off).  I think you can change it to "nano" mode as well.  Been serving me well (I've also an AIO), just make sure it's not near real turbulent water or bubbles as that can impact the operation of the optical sensor.

BRS also has some really good videos on ato's and how to set up some backup redundancy for a fail safe to give you piece of mind. It isn't quite fail safe but unlikely everything would fail at once with backup.

8 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Tunze. 100%. I'd go with the full version not the nano.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why would you go with the full size? I was leaning over to the tunze but know I wanna know why you say the full size? Lol

I own 3 of the XP Aqua Duettos and love them. Never had any issues at all. I have 1 in a Fluval 13.5 AIO, one in a 16 gallon and 1 in my main tank. Never had an issue. I also own an auto aqua smart micro. Currently running on my freshwater tank. I have had to replace the pump once. Also don't care for the fact that the sensor has a bright blue/red LED that shows in the tank. The Duettos have the led on the controller. Plus the sensor has a high and low. If the water goes over the top sensor the pump is cut off.

Edited by Tandor69
spelling

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I never understood the Apex ATO kit myself.  I mean, with the apex and $10 in float switches and a pump..  instant ATO.   I am with Clark, I have float switches everywhere.  I really need to install a feed button... ahh projects

Part of the ATK cost is that the FMM provides extra ports which can accommodate additional optical sensors, leak sensors, or flow sensors.  It's more of a platform than a single-purpose ATO device.

20 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Optical sensor over the float switch. The full size you get both for redundancy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was very much debating the nano vs. full, but I do only have a 20g so space was a concern.. and there was quite a bit price difference if I remember.

Although I think that on the full version the float is a backup for the optical sensor and with the nano it has a 'backup timer' which can be adjusted between two settings and will kick off in 1.8 minutes  at the lowest setting which will (depending on height and length) deploy .3 to maybe .8G of topoff water.

That is if your major concern is overflow.. as far as failure to read or notice when topoff is not occurring, I'm not sure what failsafe there is out there.  I think most failsafe is to prevent overflowing your tank.

Mine failed by not topping off (float stuck in up position) instead of overflowing...