This'll be fun (monti grafting)

bler

:D OOh, the green and blue would be pretty cool, especially since the green monti has the purple polyps and purple rim! or even just a 'psychadelic' one of them all together haha

I'll hit you up to grab a piece especially since we are so close

2 hours ago, bler said:

:D OOh, the green and blue would be pretty cool, especially since the green monti has the purple polyps and purple rim! or even just a 'psychadelic' one of them all together haha

I'll hit you up to grab a piece especially since we are so close

Sounds good!  Work is nuts but I see a light at the end of the tunnel (Yes, I am working right now.. stilll... ugh!)

• Like 1

I'll be curious to hear how this goes. I tried this with some orange and purple capricornis a while back. They wouldnt fuse for me, and the purple took over (I ended up with 6 mini colonies of purple cap instead of 6 grafted frags)

It probably depends a lot on which varieties you start with, what colors are these? (unsure because of the blue)

I still think the grafted varieties in the hobby are products of somatic mutation rather than true grafting but I keep trying!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EMeyer said:

I'll be curious to hear how this goes. I tried this with some orange and purple capricornis a while back. They wouldnt fuse for me, and the purple took over (I ended up with 6 mini colonies of purple cap instead of 6 grafted frags)

It probably depends a lot on which varieties you start with, what colors are these? (unsure because of the blue)

I still think the grafted varieties in the hobby are products of somatic mutation rather than true grafting but I keep trying!

Thanks for the info, they are (from what I can tell) an orange monti and a green with purple polyp..

23 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

I have the best luck making a checkerboard pattern when grapting montis. The smaller the better. 

Ok, that makes sense.. I did two that were decent sized pieces side by side and another mish-mash of the random pieces that were just sitting in the bottom of the fragging tray

As far as I know grafted happened in nature, even the same species usually won't fuse together if the two part not originally from the same colony.

If a wild grafted coral come in 2 color red and green for example, years later if one grow the red section and found the green part

from the same original colony the two color portion will graft.

We seen this often when a vendor sending grafted montipora in two part as one frag, it is because the two section will fuse together and form

one colony. So it is not that vendor making up the two unknown section and call it grafted coral. It has to come from wild grafted to be able to design

a pattern on grafted coral

• Like 1