This should be fun! ReefBot

TheClark

• TheClark changed the title to This should be fun! ReefBot

Wow!  Are you going to have it testing in addition to your Trident, or are you replacing the Trident?  It would be interesting to compare results of alk, cal, and mag tests between the two platforms.

Have you decided which test kit reagents you'll be using for each parameter?  Also, are you prepared for the long test times for certain tests?  See this chart I posted a while back:

• Thanks 1

First impressions are:

- Cool hardware, cool idea, looks like a mix of a 3d printer with of course many more functional parts.

- Very methodical (carefully does the steps humans may be tempted to forego)

- Slow (because it is methodical, rinsing when appropriate and syringe 'settle' time, etc...).

- A bit loud

- A bit confusing to get started, but not bad.

- Support site is good, lots of articles.

I bought this BECAUSE of the trident.  It has been so successful, I wanted to add nitrate and phosphate testing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SuncrestReef said:

Wow!  Are you going to have it testing in addition to your Trident, or are you replacing the Trident?  It would be interesting to compare results of alk, cal, and mag tests between the two platforms.

Have you decided which test kit reagents you'll be using for each parameter?  Also, are you prepared for the long test times for certain tests?  See this chart I posted a while back:

We crossed threads :)  Yes, in addition, its because the Trident is so freaking awesome.

Life happens, robots keep doing their jobs, reefs need stability, robots help there.  I am sold!

Would much rather by cheaper powerheads and take the saved $$ and apply it to automation.

That's my style though, there are all kinds of us reef keepers out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

We crossed threads :)  Yes, in addition, its because the Trident is so freaking awesome.

Life happens, robots keep doing their jobs, reefs need stability, robots help there.  I am sold!

Would much rather by cheaper powerheads and take the saved $$ and apply it to automation.

That's my style though, there are all kinds of us reef keepers out there.

I'm totally with you on the automation effort.  Love my Trident and Apex.

Looking forward to seeing your Reefbot results.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheClark said:

I bought this BECAUSE of the trident.  It has been so successful, I wanted to add nitrate and phosphate testing.

I'm right there with you.   Because of the trident, I want to know nitrate and phosphate more regularly.   

Post more details about these two.  I haven't researched reefbot much, so even a the simplest explanations work.    what kits are used, how long they take, does it upload to it's own apexfusion-like cloud app..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm right there with you.   Because of the trident, I want to know nitrate and phosphate more regularly.   

Post more details about these two.  I haven't researched reefbot much, so even a the simplest explanations work.    what kits are used, how long they take, does it upload to it's own apexfusion-like cloud app..

Here's the latest list of test kits and testing time requirements:

nfkAeloEHyuQWAIpWBZF9Tveax_3yTskSQ.png

Source: https://reefkinetics.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/43000508730-what-is-the-estimated-duration-for-each-test-brand-and-parameter-

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Here's the latest list of test kits and testing time requirements:

Looks like ~1hr per test (yes, some are less and some are longer).   And I'd likely bump into the 11 tests, before refill.   (Yes, there were some longer - haven't research which tests are good in ranges of my interest /etc)

BUT, to get once-a-day (or every other day) testing of NO3 and PO4 - it would work.

• Like 1

Test duration is not a big issue for me personally.  Mostly I care that they are done accurately.

So far all I have is API nitrate, which goes from 0-5 ppm which is a big leap.  Manually tested days before reefbot and it was somewhere between 0 and 5, reefbot came back 0.  Which might be fair.

The tips were cut off of the bottles to make them easier to pour, so it is tough to compare against the kit today as a drop is much bigger!

Better reagents are on the way, so hopefully more meaningful reports are on the way at some point.

This has been the dream for so many years.  With trident tracking the critical params, I can start watching the less critical but still important things.

Life is busy, so this is definitely going to be living the dream material if reefbot is even close to as good as trident.

Oopsie, well this is a bit embarrassing.  Looks like I am pushing 10 ppm nitrate.  Probably overdosing the reef plus or maybe I have a nitrate factory going somewhere?

Coral is absolutely thriving, so I take this as a datapoint, no action required yet.

=========================

But back to the reefbot!

Love how the test result colors are shown and the scale itself.  I feel like it is much closer to 10 than 20...

image.png

4 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Oopsie, well this is a bit embarrassing.  Looks like I am pushing 10 ppm nitrate.  Probably overdosing the reef plus or maybe I have a nitrate factory going somewhere?

Coral is absolutely thriving, so I take this as a datapoint, no action required yet.

What's your Phosphate, that goes along with your 10-20ppm nitrate?  (and the corals are doing well)

Tank looks the best it ever has in the last 8 years.  Coral is growing all over itself and out of the water.  So I am not going to chase anything hard.  Just kinda interesting.

Work has been so busy, it's good to get back to testing as a first step towards recovery :)

ThE magic ratio between phos and nitrate is still debated.  A lot.  Blah blah blah redfield.  

I am not really a fan of that ratio as just because something is comprised of a certain ratio of elements means nothing in regards to what it should be living in.  We are mostly water... i don't live in water.  Plants have a lot of nitrogen in them.. much much more than is in the soil. 

• Like 1

LoL.  I have soo much new rock my phos has been crazy.  It was .75 but i knocked it down to .30 over three days.  Need to get it down further. My corals are happy, but so is all the algae 😞

curious to see what your overall inpressions are of the reefbot.  They came out with a pro model that is like $2500 or something.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

LoL.  I have soo much new rock my phos has been crazy.  It was .75 but i knocked it down to .30 over three days.  Need to get it down further. My corals are happy, but so is all the algae 😞

curious to see what your overall inpressions are of the reefbot.  They came out with a pro model that is like $2500 or something.  

For sure, will try to keep this thread updated.  Glad a few people are interested!

Blasted algae, it runs everyone out of the hobby.  @stylaster helped me fix that years ago by cleaning up my feeding.  Only ocean plankton and nori made a huge difference for me.

Was considering the pro, but decided if I needed that much capacity two regulars would be better / more redundant.

Honestly so far so good with reefbot.  Its meticulous in its process, better than most humans.  And its also loud, like be careful when you schedule your tests loud.  However, the flexibility is incredible.  Competition is good for the hobby, glad to see options coming out.   Once I get the other reagents in, we shall see.

18 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Wait, am I correct when I looked up the conversion that your PO4 reading of 0.70 mg/L is actually 0.7008 ppm?  I thought mine was high at 0.09 ppm.

Yes, I pre-empted this very valid question above.

Tank looks the best it ever has in the last 8 years.  Coral is growing all over itself and out of the water.  So I am not going to chase anything hard.  Just kinda interesting.

Work has been so busy, it's good to get back to testing as a first step towards recovery