Waterbox Reef 130.4 Build

Danielie21

Guess I should of started this after my intro but oh well.

I will add my equipment list in the next post.

Tank was order last Friday and shipped Monday and should be here on Monday so I can't complain 10 day shipping.

First two pictures are plans for the placement of the tank once I get a hole in wall for my tubing from the garage. I know my fake fishys will have to move to another wall (mother way of replacing my old tank).

Just added some pictures of the flooring but what I've read and been told I'm on a load bearing wall so I'm in good shape there.

330660a742f596531898fca9eaee9b77.jpgd985c84c0b2743a1388b4c6d76a9a43d.jpgc477aabad1e7ced69a7ec1baa7b52e20.jpg846ddf5bbba47e193b8a1f0e8ebf74f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My equipment List:

Red Sea MCP Test Kit Master Car

BRS Spec 4 Stage 150 gpd

eFlux Loop DC Flow Return Pump 1900 GPH 

40 lbs of Dry Rock 

eFlux Loop Wave Pump 1050 gph kit

eFlux Loop Wave Pump 1050 pump only  

Arag-Alive Caribsea Sand 60 lbs

2 ReefLed 90w LED lights 

Red Sea Reefer Skimmer 300

Everything should be here by tomorrow besides the sand it will be here on monday. 

This is going to give me some time to get some plans made up for my mixing tanks. Between @SuncrestReef and @obrien.david.j build threads on their mixing setup i couldn't pass up the idea to do it, sure beats lugging buckets. They are not the tanks i was hoping for but for the price and being local couldn't complain. Think if stacking them with a foot or two between them to get to the lid on the bottom on, thinking of making that the saltwater tank and fresh ro/di up top and just gravity feed it into the s/w tank. I know i will have to make some kind of cover later before winter to keep the cold off of them since they will be in my garage. I'm not worried about keeping the s/w tank up to temp since i will be setting up a small dosing pump to do the awc once i get the lines in-place. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do for a mixing pump. I've read that people would use the same kind as their return pump so they would have a back up which might not be a bad idea but i don't know if it will have enough power to get it 40' from my station to my tank. I will have to wait until i get my pump tomorrow to look at the pump curve on it. 

20200827_191728.jpg

Thats all i have for tonight. I will try to do an update post tomorrow with all the major goodies and maybe a drawing of how i'm going to do my tanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danielie21 said:

This is going to give me some time to get some plans made up for my mixing tanks. Between @SuncrestReef and @obrien.david.j build threads on their mixing setup i couldn't pass up the idea to do it, sure beats lugging buckets. They are not the tanks i was hoping for but for the price and being local couldn't complain. Think if stacking them with a foot or two between them to get to the lid on the bottom on, thinking of making that the saltwater tank and fresh ro/di up top and just gravity feed it into the s/w tank. I know i will have to make some kind of cover later before winter to keep the cold off of them since they will be in my garage. I'm not worried about keeping the s/w tank up to temp since i will be setting up a small dosing pump to do the awc once i get the lines in-place. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do for a mixing pump. I've read that people would use the same kind as their return pump so they would have a back up which might not be a bad idea but i don't know if it will have enough power to get it 40' from my station to my tank. I will have to wait until i get my pump tomorrow to look at the pump curve on it. 

Having a mixing station, with Auto-Water-Change and Auto-Top-Off has been a game changer for me.  Water changes actually get done, instead of at random monthly/multi-monthly intervals.   Its just too easy.

Couple of thoughts.   You'll want a mixing pump in the salt water tank.  It would be easy to drop a power head in, and be done. But an external pump of any size is nice.   Besides circulating water, flip a few ball valves and it fills empty tanks, it enables larger manual water changes if a tank mistake happens... And, it would enable you to swap RO tank to the bottom, Salt tank to the top.    

My learning, my mixing station is automated, but I still have to manually dump in the right amount of salt.   Easy access to the salt tank is important.   I was going to put a shelf above my tanks, with just inches of clearance.  But after using the system for a few months, that shelf is either being left off - or 18" of clearance.   I want to be able to stick my head over the tank and physically look inside.   When the current batch of my salt water runs out, i'm going to pull out the salt tank and scrub it a bit.  looks like it needs it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Having a mixing station, with Auto-Water-Change and Auto-Top-Off has been a game changer for me.  Water changes actually get done, instead of at random monthly/multi-monthly intervals.   Its just too easy.

Couple of thoughts.   You'll want a mixing pump in the salt water tank.  It would be easy to drop a power head in, and be done. But an external pump of any size is nice.   Besides circulating water, flip a few ball valves and it fills empty tanks, it enables larger manual water changes if a tank mistake happens... And, it would enable you to swap RO tank to the bottom, Salt tank to the top.    

My learning, my mixing station is automated, but I still have to manually dump in the right amount of salt.   Easy access to the salt tank is important.   I was going to put a shelf above my tanks, with just inches of clearance.  But after using the system for a few months, that shelf is either being left off - or 18" of clearance.   I want to be able to stick my head over the tank and physically look inside.   When the current batch of my salt water runs out, i'm going to pull out the salt tank and scrub it a bit.  looks like it needs it.

@obrien.david.j

I was thinking about leaving a foot clearance between the tanks so I could add the salt fairly easy and look inside it need be. I'm leaning toward an external pump just to recirculate the s/w when mixing and a big water change if needed.

1 hour ago, Danielie21 said:

I was thinking about leaving a foot clearance between the tanks so I could add the salt fairly easy and look inside it need be. I'm leaning toward an external pump just to recirculate the s/w when mixing and a big water change if needed.

My test would be, can you get your head directly over the salt tank opening and look inside.  It sounds like you're planning to do that.    

BTW, I should probably say the obvious.  Make sure you plumb the tanks with Unions you can unscrew on then physically remove the tanks (empty) for whatever rack you mount them in.   Plan for easy cleaning, or you'll never do it.  (or *I* would never do it)

• Like 1

My test would be, can you get your head directly over the salt tank opening and look inside.  It sounds like you're planning to do that.    
BTW, I should probably say the obvious.  Make sure you plumb the tanks with Unions you can unscrew on then physically remove the tanks (empty) for whatever rack you mount them in.   Plan for easy cleaning, or you'll never do it.  (or *I* would never do it)
Yep I see a couple of unions in my future, making up my parts list tonight home depot.

Sorry for no update on Friday night after 14 hours at work and 4 hours of building and planning i had to check my pillow to do it all over again today. 

I did manage to get both stands made up just not hung yet. The lower shelf is mounted to the wall but the top of it is still off until i get my addition shelf screwed into place as well ( After thought of where to put the some extras).

20200829_201018.jpg20200829_201015.jpg20200829_201012.jpg

I did finally find my drain from the garage to the crawlspace. I was hoping to use a 1" pvc but just a tad to big so the 3/4 will have to do. I was able to put 3 1/4 lines in with no problem and might be able to do a 4th if needed. The plan is some 45s on it and should come out just below the stand. I was going to get insulation to wrap the pvc under the crawlspace and find some kind of clamp or bracket to mount it under the house and to hold it in place out of the way.

20200829_195450.jpg20200829_195456.jpg

Should be able to wrap up the garage end and get things mounted tomorrow after work and i got all day monday to work on the crawlspace and inside lines. 

9 minutes ago, MReef20 said:

Looking forward to this build - and nice to see another Tri-City reefer!

Well i hope to have it done in two weeks but with my crazy work schedule and my kidos not a lot of time for extras. 

Yes, there was a club back before I left the hobby but it has dis-banned and I don't have a way to get a hold of any of the old members.

Sorry for no update on Friday night after 14 hours at work and 4 hours of building and planning i had to check my pillow to do it all over again today. 
I did manage to get both stands made up just not hung yet. The lower shelf is mounted to the wall but the top of it is still off until i get my addition shelf screwed into place as well ( After thought of where to put the some extras).
  20200829_201018.thumb.jpg.7a36b68c2721054245c40a3d09ff730a.jpg20200829_201015.thumb.jpg.3dd5c261e250eaa2fc1a20e12c33858d.jpg20200829_201012.thumb.jpg.b4fdbd4d5a9a4627e56b7f4b7cc0ea16.jpg
I did finally find my drain from the garage to the crawlspace. I was hoping to use a 1" pvc but just a tad to big so the 3/4 will have to do. I was able to put 3 1/4 lines in with no problem and might be able to do a 4th if needed. The plan is some 45s on it and should come out just below the stand. I was going to get insulation to wrap the pvc under the crawlspace and find some kind of clamp or bracket to mount it under the house and to hold it in place out of the way.
20200829_195450.thumb.jpg.b65eb20dd8a4202113705af288950e6f.jpg20200829_195456.thumb.jpg.4a90bb8bc61bdfa4adfe9e2bc9ca9dac.jpg
Should be able to wrap up the garage end and get things mounted tomorrow after work and i got all day monday to work on the crawlspace and inside lines. 
Nice progress! I'm curious about that water tank stand. Do the top of the legs come all the way to the top board? And then you just screwed them to the table top frame? Does that make sense? Basically I'm wondering if the weight of the stand is distributed onto the frame and then the frame is on the legs. You want the frame to actually sit on top on the legs. Otherwise the frame itself is not able to provide much weight bearing. This is a picture of what is the correct way for strongest weight distribution.
62736d76ce71c826b69bce8905c7a99b.jpg

If you don't rest the frame on top of the actual legs, then only the four corners have any structural strength.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Danielie21 said:

Well i hope to have it done in two weeks but with my crazy work schedule and my kidos not a lot of time for extras. 

Yes, there was a club back before I left the hobby but it has dis-banned and I don't have a way to get a hold of any of the old members.

Cool!  We should see about getting a local chapter going again 🙂

• Like 1

Sunday update,

After what @Higher Thinking suggested I went ahead redid the supports on the shelf so I removed the 2x4 and jut used a 4x4 post instead. Went ahead and hung my rodi system up for the time being so I can make some water up to clean the tanks up.

Checked on my tank and for some reason someone wanted to take it to Portland for a joy ride, says it still going to be delivered tomorrow but it was just 40 minutes from me since Friday night so who knows what ups is thinking.

Tomorrow should be able to finish the extra shelf top and find a sawja to lop off the tops of the post to put on the last top and start dry fitting some pvc.

20200830_222217.jpg

20200830_222227.jpg

Sunday update,
After what @Higher Thinking suggested I went ahead redid the supports on the shelf so I removed the 2x4 and jut used a 4x4 post instead. Went ahead and hung my rodi system up for the time being so I can make some water up to clean the tanks up.
Checked on my tank and for some reason someone wanted to take it to Portland for a joy ride, says it still going to be delivered tomorrow but it was just 40 minutes from me since Friday night so who knows what ups is thinking.
Tomorrow should be able to finish the extra shelf top and find a sawja to lop off the tops of the post to put on the last top and start dry fitting some pvc.
20200830_222217.thumb.jpg.96295f70d61e4b7dbeed32d697527650.jpg
20200830_222227.thumb.jpg.a774b78d27861b9211122ae0a987b719.jpg
Sorry, but what I was specifically talking about was how the weight is being distributed to the legs. If you look at the picture I posted, you can see that the top frame actually sits on top of the legs themselves. In both your builds, your frame, which holds the weight of the shelf, is just held onto the legs by screws instead of actually sitting on top of the legs. Does that make sense?

@Higher Thinking I mis understood what you were talking about so I fixed it by adding some braces to the legs to hold the weight from the top shelf down to the floor as well.

Started to do some dry fitting and some gluing so I could get some water made up.

Just need to install the bulkheads for the return systems and get that plumbed in, debating on just putting it in the lid. It has a 3/4 fitting so I could make up sprayer.33685dbdf1f08d16fe299b8edabf3147.jpgadfc89af38ed5531860ad23fd4a341e7.jpg03998fae55ec45bb0c052b7a0504558b.jpgc194be33a99d95d7587fdec8bb65377f.jpg

• Like 1

Well no update yesterday had to take the niggt off needed some down time.

So today was the big day waiting on ups to drop off the tank. They are worse than a cable company scheduled from 10 to 5. Well at 330 I get the call that they are 10 minutes out. I will admit it i was at the front door like a dog begging to be let outside watching the traffic go by waiting for them.

I was floored how big this thing was going to be even in its packaging. I did a basic look over and was like ok, i need to wait for my kids and ill let them open it up.

Well after dinner the kids and I put the stand together, and that thing is heavy holy #### it was over the half of the weight of the pallet.

The sump is unpacked and will get cleaned tomorrow and set aside until I get the lines into the house (Friday night got more help coming in for the holiday).

d2b8feec3cd053742f722ae3dc5d8f9c.jpg4d1eec1bb6023e7bc43b6c93199890e2.jpg4878f2f22a85d8251d4bbd70cab352f7.jpgb17ff3cfc324cd1b8393d7258c837dd7.jpg6913b41989f135dd996e61fe915f9759.jpgd865d6111167c1697e0b315450d146dd.jpg

Tank is in, wholy man that thing was heavy, glad my brother came down for the holiday. My daughter wanted to surprise me by making some paper fishys since we couldn't add water tonight.

So quick update mixing station is done ran water through everything after gluing and threw it out. I didn't know if it would of been a good idea to keep it but wasnt going to chance it. I have some clean up to do I hate having the lines not tacked down.

The lines from the garage to the tank wall are installed as well. Already flushed them and capped them for now. I do have the ro line plumbed in rdy to start filling the tank up tomorrow. I did full the overflow box to check for drips there so far so good.

I'll finish the lights and the skimmer tomorrow and start filling the main tank up. J

Just a question could I go ahead and mix my water up in my tank since there isn't anything in it or should I do it outside of the tank?ecc86b8b0c2fbae7a2c539e4b215285c.jpg932b9f5b7e59ba6588bc649bb532221b.jpg4035e05b5e2ad66a1eca24ed907e0ab4.jpg340f68fb050377486e7add36d6bd2ffc.jpg93b3b5a2c121968e7953fc495aec6250.jpg48cbad3101ab43057d97078cc4a15623.jpg45c6c2ce55049c5c66e58a79cb4e9dec.jpg

That's a sharp tank!! - I love the rimless look.  Are you planning on a screen cover? 

23 hours ago, Danielie21 said:

Just a question could I go ahead and mix my water up in my tank since there isn't anything in it or should I do it outside of the tank?

You should be fine mixing directly in the tank.

Edited by MReef20

That's a sharp tank!! - I love the rimless look.  Are you planning on a screen cover? 

You should be fine mixing directly in the tank.
No i don't plan on a cover but I might depends on the evaporation rate.

My sand should be here tomorrow so I can get it in there and the rock scapped. I'll get some more pictures up tonight already have the lights and power heads in and wired up just not clean looking yet waiting on a couple things should be pretty by Monday.

• Like 1

No i don't plan on a cover but I might depends on the evaporation rate.

My sand should be here tomorrow so I can get it in there and the rock scapped. I'll get some more pictures up tonight already have the lights and power heads in and wired up just not clean looking yet waiting on a couple things should be pretty by Monday.

If you went with a cover you'd only use a screen, not a full glass enclosure. It's there to prevent things from jumping out. You don't want glass enclosures because they block light as water condensates and it gathers hard water marks. People also claim there's an issue with gas exchange, but I don't necessarily buy that part because because sumps and protein skimmers introduce a great deal of gas exchange.

Also, you can mix saltwater in the tank no problem at this stage.

• Like 1

I'd highly recommend a screen top...like stated above really minimizes the chances of jumping (or stuff somehow falling in).  Especially if you are considering adding certain fish such as wrasses.

Bulk Reef Supply has some good DIY kits: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

And you can get some nice low profile clips so that the top sits flush with the tank: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-hanging-clips-red-sea.html

Amazon variety (would have to measure glass thickness): https://www.amazon.com/Aquariums-Acrylic-Support-Holders-Universal/dp/B07WHX7SX8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+top+clips&qid=1599716147&sr=8-7

Yeah i wasn't thinking about lights issue with glass cover so sharmen can that idea.

Sand and rock are in, not sure if I have enough of each in the tank but I'm not used to a big tank like this as well.

Got about half full from the ro system waiting on my banjo fittings to come in use the mixing station tanks but it will be ready for the water change.

I'm wondering about my lights granted I don't need them right now but whst does everyone run for temp? The Red Sea 90k has 3 options to run 15,20,23k all with some moonlight as well. I have no clue on led lights I was running t5 with daylight and blues. ab5c184948f12d40abee3b4244f71a30.jpge29a92afa08e8a363cb5f87de8164275.jpgd74bdfe9c170477a3939e201aa60e6b9.jpg

1 hour ago, Danielie21 said:

I'm wondering about my lights granted I don't need them right now but whst does everyone run for temp? The Red Sea 90k has 3 options to run 15,20,23k all with some moonlight as well. I have no clue on led lights I was running t5 with daylight and blues.

IMO, 15k will probably be the most "natural" looking light, 20k will make the corals "pop," and I'm not sure about 23k, but I probably wouldn't go that blue...I'd probably start with 15k because I like the look.