Solar Panels

Bicyclebill

1 hour ago, Bicyclebill said:

So I just got the sales pitch today for adding solar panels to my house. Thoughts?

Depends on the cost really but to me its a great idea. I know a few people have it in other parts of the country and they sell power back to the local electric company.

Who was the company who tossed the sales pitch to you ?

One thing I learned a couple years ago was that you need a special setup if you want things to kick on during a power outage. 

I'd love to go with solar panels and a Tesla battery on the house. It would save money and have the battery backup. Just $$$.

Tesla Solar Panels are $1.49 per watt.  These will be grid tied at that price.  Meaning that if grid power is out, your solar panels stop producing so it won't send 240V back to the grid for grid workers safety.  You can add a large UPS to have continuous power during outage.  If you want your panels to still generate while grid is out, you can install manual switch over and feed the UPS to the panels so the panels think the grid have power.  The manual switch over will prevent you from sending 240v down the grid so grid workers are still safe.  You can make the entire switch over automatic but will be the most expansive.

I've sign up for Tesla solar panels.  Now waiting for 5 weeks for my HOA to sign off before installation can take place.

If anyone interested, you can use my Tesla referral and we both save $100.

Use my referral link to receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles with the purchase and delivery of a new Tesla car, or earn a $100 award after system activation by purchasing or subscribing to solar panels: https://ts.la/daniel54577

Did it include any battery system to continue supplying power at night or in emergency situations?

Nope, just panels tied into PGE grid. So I’d still be paying PGE monthly service fee of $11 and whatever extra I need that’s not being created. Blue Raven solar is the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, just panels tied into PGE grid. So I’d still be paying PGE monthly service fee of $11 and whatever extra I need that’s not being created. Blue Raven solar is the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no experience so take my comments as just an opinion. It all comes down to numbers for me. There should be some data that demonstrates how much electricity they produce on average in your city. Then you have to essentially take your energy cost per watt and how many watts you use each month and you can determine how long you'll have to run them to offset the initial cost.

For me, being "green" isn't an inherent value so I'd be concerned with straight dollar for dollar savings. However, if being green is really important, than you have to try and determine what the "value" of that is and include that in your cost.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have heard that they have a lifespan and if this is the case then that must be a factor. For example, if they last ten years but it would take twenty years to gain back the cost in savings then it makes no sense. I have also heard that they decrease in efficiency as they age. Maybe technology has progressed and these things are no longer an issue.

If you're already thinking of getting solar, I would get it this year for the 26% of the cost toward federal tax credit.  In 2021, will drop to 22%.

Tesla is planning to install 340W panels for my house with 25yrs warranty.

My biggest worry is if there's roof leaks from 3rd party installer mistakes, and need to get Tesla to send someone to fix it.