Jack’s coffee table tide pool

Jack-the-reefer

This is my latest project. I’ve had the idea in my head for years, but just finally started actually building it. 

The display part is made from a black plastic planter, and the sump is a cheap 5 gallon tank.

Since the footprint is so small, I didn’t want to drill multiple holes for the plumbing. I used a 1.5” pvc for a stand pipe, then drilled holes big enough to glue 2, 1/2” cpvc elbows inside. This way, I have a full siphon drain, and the return, hidden in one pipe. Plus, the top of the stand pipe works as the emergency backup drain. 

The stand is an old file cabinet that I modified to work. 

E02B806B-73C2-43A4-AD7A-5063195E9358.jpeg

A93B0A58-A6DC-4F89-91C4-BA240BCA8F17.jpeg

50C861DF-AFC7-4521-B4A7-ABE0C1AC8E28.jpeg

• Like 3

I didn’t take any good pictures when I was first getting started, but here it is up and running.

I still have some tinkering, and finishing touches to do. I’m really happy with it so far though. 

The plan was to build it to sell, but I don’t know now. I might have to hold on to it.  

Edited by Jack-the-reefer

8 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

You have a lid for this? Don’t want it to become cat bath trough lol

you are getting pretty dang good at the single drain/returns!

I have a top piece that I need to paint and put on. I was thinking about putting glass over it, but I think it’ll get condensation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge update, but it’s almost ready to go. I found some tiny gate valves that allowed me to fine tune the flow. It runs silently now. 
I added some sand in the display, and live rock in the sump. Jeff has been nice enough to let me have the corals growing in on rocks at the shop, so I sold be able to bring those home this weekend. 
Now I just need to build the ato, finish the top, and paint the door. 

7586E5B1-FC96-490E-8F92-51FED5C383ED.jpeg

2BBA916A-B5C3-40A8-9214-1D8232661468.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I stocked it with super easy softies. It’s a bunch of gsp, mushrooms, and zoas.  I have a few little hermit crabs in there too. I really want to do a goby and pistol shrimp, but we’ll see how the top turns out. I need to keep the glass far enough off the water surface that I dint get condensation on it. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, Jack-the-reefer said:

I stocked it with super easy softies. It’s a bunch of gsp, mushrooms, and zoas.  I have a few little hermit crabs in there too. I really want to do a goby and pistol shrimp, but we’ll see how the top turns out. I need to keep the glass far enough off the water surface that I dint get condensation on it. 

glass panel with acrylic pillars would work ez pz! 

Edited by Matteo

• 5 months later...