New build after 8 years away

jsawyers33

Well, after about 8 years away from the hobby I’m jumping back in head first. I gave up 8 years ago after finally getting tired of moving tanks. Until about a year ago we would move every couple years and moving a tank so often just got to me a bit too much. Now that we are settled in I figured it was time to go at it again. About three months ago I ordered a tank and some equipment through Jeff at CNC. It sounds like the tank may have shipped last week so fingers crossed it will be in it’s new home soon. It is 66”X24”X24” low iron glass. Drilled for the synergy reef overflow. Over the last few months work hasn’t allowed me much time to prep for the tank, but I have been able to get a little done on the fish room. I saw a mixing station on here by SuncrestReef and I liked it so much I copied it (hopefully he isn’t mad I copied, it was just so well thought out). The fish room is in a section under the house. It only has about 6’ of headroom, but I’m not very tall so it works pretty well. I started by adding a couple designated 20 amp circuits and insulating the entire space. Next I covered the walls and ceilings with Plywood, then FRP panels. I added a sink for clean up, and finished up the mixing station. Currently my plan is to run an Neptune Apex with trident, ATT and dos. Along with 3 Echotech Radion Blue for lighting. For flow I will run at least two Vortech MP 40’s. I plan on having a mixed reef. , but still thinking about what all I want to put in. Well, so far so good. I just hope I don’t screw anything up. dba16a7ab7d9850a4fcb5c67a20476a3.jpg

577e9c579314b10773d6ff5fcb072cdd.jpg

9fc374424f8a489dcf530a42df25bf55.jpg

97af8c7c6e2d900b0a5f2cc36da6811a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Looks nice.  One thing is bothering me.  That the mono pour brackets are still in the footing/stem wall.  You going to grind those off? 

Yes, the plan is to cut out the mono straps and I have a cover going over the top of the existing footing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flash21 said:

Looks nice.  One thing is bothering me.  That the mono pour brackets are still in the footing/stem wall.  You going to grind those off? 

Leave it to a wood butcher to see that.................... :D

Good to see another custom build going on................ when does the tank show ?

• Like 1

Leave it to a wood butcher to see that.................... [emoji3]

Good to see another custom build going on................ when does the tank show ?

Jeff said it shipped late last week and he said it usually only takes a week. With Covid I anticipate shipping taking a little longer than normal, but I’m hoping to have it in about a week or two. Now I just need to finish up the plumbing to the fish room and I’ll be ready to go.

• Like 1

Looks great! Looks clean enough to make some sterile surgeries on some coral.

I would like to think that someday I would be to that level, but that would be way down the road and after someone taught me how to not kill them while I try.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to checking the plumbing for leaks. So far no water on the floor so that’s a good sign for now. I plan to run it for the day with this well water. Then I will drain the system, clean up any pvc pipe debris and be ready for rock scape and saltwater. The wife is finally getting exited for the tank .

IMG_4007.jpgIMG_4008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s been a heck of a week. Have a few minutes and thought I would do a small update on the progress. Almost two weeks ago Brad from cuttlefish cape down and brought some rock. He did a great job on the rocks scape. He did in a couple hours what would have taken me all day. I am still waiting on lights, skimmer and the mp40’s but the aquarium is full and started to cycle. I was able to get some of the apex gear up and running, but that will take some time. Here are a few pics.

IMG_4010.jpgIMG_4012.jpgIMG_4036.jpg
  • Like 4

Your color coordination makes me jealous lol!

just a heads up, the DOS Reservoir is problematic with whatever you put into it shorting the circuit board and causing the optical switch not to register. Mine is out already and it’s only 6 months old. Debating sending it in for “repair”. You could probably open it up (screw on under side of top) and use some silicone to seal it better. Or a guy on eBay sells a wire only harness with no circuit board for pretty reasonable. Just something to look into.

Your color coordination makes me jealous lol!

just a heads up, the DOS Reservoir is problematic with whatever you put into it shorting the circuit board and causing the optical switch not to register. Mine is out already and it’s only 6 months old. Debating sending it in for “repair”. You could probably open it up (screw on under side of top) and use some silicone to seal it better. Or a guy on eBay sells a wire only harness with no circuit board for pretty reasonable. Just something to look into.

That’s good to know. I may start with the silicone idea. What a shame such a high priced item has such a major problem. As we all know apex products aren’t exactly inexpensive.

Well, it’s been a heck of a week. Have a few minutes and thought I would do a small update on the progress. Almost two weeks ago Brad from cuttlefish cape down and brought some rock. He did a great job on the rocks scape. He did in a couple hours what would have taken me all day. I am still waiting on lights, skimmer and the mp40’s but the aquarium is full and started to cycle. I was able to get some of the apex gear up and running, but that will take some time. Here are a few pics.

http://pnwmas.org.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_09/IMG_4010.thumb.jpg.bd7a5458e6d61b1bc2ea8e22fef4d780.jpghttp://pnwmas.org.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_09/IMG_4012.thumb.jpg.8e91cda9faf09c8e6a07affb1d4d3980.jpghttp://pnwmas.org.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_09/IMG_4036.thumb.jpg.2b1d685722aafa3c73be0f17a5e6c529.jpg
Great progress. Excited for you!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...