Mike’s Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT 100 Build

Tandor69

After a few months of research and waiting on covid, I finally ordered my adult tank lol. I went with an Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT 100. I really like the idea of a true external overflow box, there is no box inside the tank. It has shipped and is sitting in a warehouse in Portland. I can't wait until it gets here and i can start setting it up! I will post some pics when it arrives. Website photo below.

Nuvoext100.jpg

Edited by Tandor69
Title change
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Tandor69 said:

The tank has arrived!

Congrats!   And that external overflow looks really nice.  :)

Tell me what you did for Delivery Inspection.    I've read many posts saying effectively, "Inspect your tank before you let the shipper leave."   I see a new tank being delivered somewhere in my future (not ordered yet), your picture made me realize - How Would I inspect it?

• Did you take the box off it, to inspect whole way down?  
  • Did you take all the internal wrapping/styrofoam out and use a flashlight?
  • ??

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

Congrats!   And that external overflow looks really nice.  :)

Tell me what you did for Delivery Inspection.    I've read many posts saying effectively, "Inspect your tank before you let the shipper leave."   I see a new tank being delivered somewhere in my future (not ordered yet), your picture made me realize - How Would I inspect it?

• Did you take the box off it, to inspect whole way down?  
  • Did you take all the internal wrapping/styrofoam out and use a flashlight?
  • ??

I have to admit, I did not open the crate in-front of the driver. Someone from Innovative Marine (I believe it was Paul) called me after it shipped. He said if there was no outside damage, it was up to me if I wanted to open it (but who knows if they would have covered it if it was broken). There was no damage on the outside of my crate and the driver put it in my garage (which they say the drivers will not do). It took me about 15 minutes to open the crate as the stand was shrink wrapped and strapped to the top of the crate and I was by myself. If the driver refuses to stay or complains, IM said to write driver refused inspection on the shipping document. If I had to do it again, I would probably try and open it in front of him. The IM video just says to take the top of the crate off, open the top of the internal cardboard box, and remove the top of the Styrofoam to inspect the tank for broken glass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Looks good!  But a couple of questions:

1. Why do you have a valve on one side of your return pipes, but not the other?

2. Why do you have a union on one side of your return pipes, but not the other?

Thanks for the input! 

1. I put a valve on that side because some of the plumbing threads I read recommend it to balance the two outputs. Since one side is closer to the pump than the other, water will flow faster on that side. That being said, in most of those threads the return pump was all the way to one side so there was a large travel distance. However mine is more in the middle so there is only about a 6" difference. 

2. This is only a mock up, all the white pvc pipe will be replaced with blue and I hadn't installed that union yet. That is what the blue tape marks.

Here is a more recent shot where I started cutting and gluing in the 1" blue pvc. One thing i have realized is I didn't order enough 3/4" blue pvc and of course BRS is out now. This has me rethinking my return plumbing. I am thinking about switching to 1" on the returns and necking it down at the bulkheads.

tankplumbingblue.jpeg

Edited by Tandor69
Completed post.

2 minutes ago, Webbed Feet said:

What is the significance of white versus blue PVC?

Looks mostly. I decided to go all out on this tank and the blue and white matches my sump. The blue is schedule 40 so it has thinner walls I think. It's way more expensive though. $13 for just under 4 feet for the blue while the white is $3 for 5 feet.

Looks mostly. I decided to go all out on this tank and the blue and white matches my sump. The blue is schedule 40 so it has thinner walls I think. It's way more expensive though. $13 for just under 4 feet for the blue while the white is $3 for 5 feet.
I think it looks great that way. It shows forethought and makes it look intentional, instead of just something you had to do. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Just curious...will you be running any aquarium controller system, or doing it old school?

I will be running it on a reef-pi for now. I actually have a reef-pi on each one of my tanks. They provide excellent monitoring and control. Eventually I would like to get an Apex for this tank, mostly for the automated testing. I am keeping an eye on the classfieds for one.

• Like 1