WTB Asterina starfish

Matteo

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

sweeet. so is 1 star a month sufficient? 

Technically yes....but you need to watch them and see how fast they feed on it.  You could have a couple little fatties and go through 2 or 3 a month.  

Is it over feeding...probably but all the research i find says to feed them if they will eat...so i just keep dropping them in lol

On a side note ours do eat frozen as during the start of the pandemic stars were hard to get and we had to freeze a couple.  We crossed our fingers and to our surprise they ate them....so we just keep 1 cut up in the freezer just in case.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MERKEY said:

Technically yes....but you need to watch them and see how fast they feed on it.  You could have a couple little fatties and go through 2 or 3 a month.  

Is it over feeding...probably but all the research i find says to feed them if they will eat...so i just keep dropping them in lol

On a side note ours do eat frozen as during the start of the pandemic stars were hard to get and we had to freeze a couple.  We crossed our fingers and to our surprise they ate them....so we just keep 1 cut up in the freezer just in case.

Thanks for all the inside info! Lot of conflicting stuff on the forums so nice to hear a local anecdote. Luckily you locals may keep my full of asternias! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Thanks for all the inside info! Lot of conflicting stuff on the forums so nice to hear a local anecdote. Luckily you locals may keep my full of asternias! 

We are still super new to them as well so this really is a learning curve! When ever we make our next trip to Portland I'll fill a bag of asternias up for you!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're such cool creatures, my daughter and I were mesmerized by the ones at Paradise a few weeks ago. If I had more asterinas I'd happily give them to you but I've never had issues with them so I rarely find them in my tanks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TaylorW said:

They're such cool creatures, my daughter and I were mesmerized by the ones at Paradise a few weeks ago. If I had more asterinas I'd happily give them to you but I've never had issues with them so I rarely find them in my tanks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I got mine from Bret about 1-2 weeks ago almost hahaha granted someone brought them in as trade as soon as i was there so it was really lucky timing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I got mine from Bret about 1-2 weeks ago almost hahaha granted someone brought them in as trade as soon as i was there so it was really lucky timing 

It was some good timing on your part. The couple that bought them had them less than 3 weeks and had just traded them back in.  I also forgot to give you a free chocolate chip.......the only reason i sell them is for Harlequin food

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MrBret said:

It was some good timing on your part. The couple that bought them had them less than 3 weeks and had just traded them back in.  I also forgot to give you a free chocolate chip.......the only reason i sell them is for Harlequin food

I will probably be grabbing one from ya soon ish! 

She's a hungry girl and ventures out way more than the male. 

P1020115.thumb.jpg.ea97dd74e95696f406c1a4cd816edd57.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

How dire is your need?  I may be able to find 3-5 Asterina tonight with a flash light.   

Not dire at all. More of just if you have 20-30 you wanna scrape off in the morning real quick 😂

I've been feeding frozen chocolatechip star legs tehe. 

Next meal will probably just be a whole one... 👀

11 hours ago, Electrokate said:

Will they eat frozen asterinas? I could start freezing them and I know someone with a lot of them I can ask too, though usually I only see about a dozen as I tend to remove them. I think they ate a bunch of my coral so I got kinda harsh on them.

This is a great question.  If they'll eat frozen Astrenia, I'll start freezing what I pull.  I've worked mine down to ~5/wk, because I'm sure they were bothering/eating corals, but it'd be easy to freeze what I pull.   Today I just set them in a cup and let them dry out.

• Like 1

Hey guys. 

So I have been feeding live and frozen chocolate chip stars which have been a great source of food. 

Currently they're munching on three legs of a big one right now. Probably be gone soon ish 👀

Idk if frozen asternias would work. I fear they'd be too small not enough mass for them as they can eat like 20-30 of those tiny dudes in a day no problem! 

Thanks guys but for now chocolate chip stars will do. Unless you wanna catch like 30-50 of them off your Glass one day then we can meet up :)