New tank

Bicyclebill

OK boys and girls, I'm jones'n to upgrade to a bigger tank. Same placement, for those of you who've been to my house. I've got room for maximum 65" length and maybe 30" depth. Since I'm up against a wall at the end, I'm really thinking about a peninsula. I'm really thinking about the Waterbox or Red Sea peninsula systems, but Crystal Dynamic has steel stand with eurobrace that is kind of appealing as well. HELP!!! If any of you had it to do again today, what would you do with my parameters?

60" long x 30" wide x 24" tall sounds like great dimensions to me..  i believe that's about 180 gallons.   if i had to do it again i'd change out the standard 180 i have for something wider with external overflows.  i miss a 32" wide tank.  don't go over 24" tall IMO.  Also, your tall so a tall stand to put the tank at a good viewing height would be nice too.       

• Like 1

I have had both a 30" wide and a 36" wide peninusla and MUCH prefer the 36. Better for aquascaping.  

Also, had a 24" deep and 30" deep.  Much prefer the 24.  When you go up to 30 it requires 3/4" glass, which increases the price.  A pain to reach the very bottom of a 30.

My 68"X36"24" starfire peninsula is currently for sale.  The stand is not steel, but I built it like a tank.

Ken

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kshack said:

I have had both a 30" wide and a 36" wide peninusla and MUCH prefer the 36. Better for aquascaping.  

Also, had a 24" deep and 30" deep.  Much prefer the 24.  When you go up to 30 it requires 3/4" glass, which increases the price.  A pain to reach the very bottom of a 30.

My 68"X36"24" starfire peninsula is currently for sale.  The stand is not steel, but I built it like a tank.

Ken

You're killing me Ken! I so wish I had room for that.

tank.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe run it the other direction and have it positioned so that the pass through into the kitchen becomes the back view of the tank and you can see it from yet more angle?.  Peninsula would work great for that with the "business" end toward the window.  Or maybe that is what you were thinking.... can't remember how long that wall is since I only saw it once 😀

• Like 1

36" deep tank is really really nice.   Bill, what is in the way of a bigger tank?  You buy the beer, I will bring a sledge hammer and a sawzall.  Anything that stands in front of a dream tank can be addressed with these two tools..well, and a shop vac. 

Hell, I removed a load bearing wall, two circuits, and copper plumbing for my current tank :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

36" deep tank is really really nice.   Bill, what is in the way of a bigger tank?  You buy the beer, I will bring a sledge hammer and a sawzall.  Anything that stands in front of a dream tank can be addressed with these two tools..well, and a shop vac. 

Hell, I removed a load bearing wall, two circuits, and copper plumbing for my current tank :) 

My house is only 1100 sq ft, so I guess that's what I'm using as an excuse. Knocking out the wall would mean I'd have to remodel the kitchen, which is an overwhelming thought for me. 

2 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

I need to do some research into these labels we each have! I'm a zoanthid, Calvin is a Shark, Ken is a Trigger, Brian is a Problem Child, and Kim is a Master AzzKrak!

Haha - the default is based on post number but you can edit it to whatever you want - as evidenced by Kim and Brian.  No, I did not change him to "Problem Child" whatever he might tell you 😀

• Like 1