110 degrees

reefnjunkie

58 minutes ago, Micah said:

Oh no!  

It’s all good no death except all the live rock got cooked- this was my QT tank

looks like only half my post “posted” I’ll expound later

40 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Guess you dont use redundant temp controllers?  Apex w/temp probe as primary, heater controller as secondary - set ~5 degrees higher than Apex setpoint.   Thats the most cooked I can get.

I don’t- I’ve had more temp controllers go bad than human errors, I don’t own a heater that has a controller 

Your concept is sound until you’re heater controller goes south- rare but has happened more times than I’d care to trust

gotta go, construction flagger just flipped the sign

2 hours ago, reefnjunkie said:

Your concept is sound until you’re heater controller goes south- rare but has happened more times than I’d care to trust

I feel this. I had a heater crack on me. It shorted out and blew the emergency 10a fuse I had on my inkbird. Didn't trip the gfci nor any power strips. I was of course out of town so came home to a tank at 62 degrees. I had thought running 2 heaters (both connected to the inkbird) I was good. Lots of dead SPS said otherwise. 

1 hour ago, BeardUp said:

I feel this. I had a heater crack on me. It shorted out and blew the emergency 10a fuse I had on my inkbird. Didn't trip the gfci nor any power strips. I was of course out of town so came home to a tank at 62 degrees. I had thought running 2 heaters (both connected to the inkbird) I was good. Lots of dead SPS said otherwise. 

Sorry to hear that- all the more reason I switched to the Titanium heaters with controllers, I let the Alex handle the heavy lifting

Yesterday I had my service panel upgraded to a 200 amp service and while the work was performed I ran a generator to control both my display and QT

When I was plugging the QT pump back in the pump came loose from the feed line and I quickly grabbed it which is when I more than likely knocked the temp probe out of the holder.

Fortunately for me I plugged the return pump into the wrong socket so the return pump actually shut off at 11pm last night and the water wasn’t being returned from the sump.

I dodged a bullet because all I cooked was the live rock and I’ve got more than enough that has been sitting in the display sump for 7 months

Its been one of those days- oh well I wanted to restart that system too

SMH

I've actually had a heater split on me in my first tank, thank goodness I didn't have much in it yet. On another tank I had a heater get stuck in the on position and cooked my tank, lost almost everything that time.. I now use the Inkbird or other types of temp controllers in my tanks for at least some peice of mind and it helps keep my temp constant so that's a huge plus too. Another thing I've started doing is spreading corals throughout my tanks so if something does happen (fingers crossed it doesn't) I'll have the same corals in different tanks. After that crash I don't trust any heater...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 1