Is this a good tank

Reefreef

I have been looking for a saltwater aquarium and this one caught my eye.  I can have it shipped to me for a little under $800.  Seems like a nice tank. This is my first tank though so any advice is appreciated.  I have been making a list of equipment that would be needed.  Seems like I will need a big pump and heaters. I would also like to get one of those neptune computers. 

thoughts>?  And thank you!!

https://giantaquariums.com/2020/02/24/1000-gallon-with-custom-insert-20000-tulsaoklahoma/

• Haha 1

Wow, if you're looking to spend that much, I'd recommend having a custom tank built by a well-known company that will also offer a warranty.  You can get a tank roughly that size for around $12,000 from CustomAquariums.com.   See: https://www.customaquariums.com/glass-aquariums/all-aquarium-standard-sizes.html

Also, do you really want that fake coral insert, or do you plan to grow your own real corals?

Lastly, if you've never had a tank before, are you sure you want to do something this large?  Many people struggle with their first tanks and end up quitting the hobby.  The tank itself is just a portion of the investment you'll need to make.

• Like 3

I'm with everything @SuncrestReef said. But if I was getting a 1k tank, I wouldn't be getting a coral insert, I'd be getting rock and AT LEAST doing an easy-coral tank (toadstool, leathers, mushrooms, etc).

and I'd be buying from customaquariums, or planet aquariums, or glasscages.com, or...really, I'd be calling probably 5 tank builders for discussion and quotes.

Also, if you're really going with 1000g as your first tank, I'd plan to have a pro do all the maintenance for at least a year and choose someone who'll teach you so you can take over

• Like 1

Yeah I have to admit, I have never encountered someone who would want such a massive setup as their very first tank.

Assuming money is not an issue, which for a tank this size, it can't be, I would absolutely get a custom tank built. You've got someone asking 20k for a tank and they don't even mention who built it. How would any of us be able to tell you if it's a good tank?

I would strongly suggest heading to you nearest local fish shop and getting to know the owner. Depending on location, there are several reliable outfits in this region. They will be the best option for information if you really want to pursue this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

yeah, I agree the coral insert looks very "cheesy".. not sure of the right word.  I talked to the guy and he said the tan and stand were made by AGE.  Three sides are special clear glass.  Starfire?  The coral insert was apparently like $7k.  So I think I could get the tank for somewhere in the $10k range.  Everything is actually brand new.   

I would like to get tank, fish and some easy corals.  I basically have $50k to spend on it.  It would go in my man cave room which is 20 feet wide and 20 feet long.  I really like that it is soo long, I think it would look dramatic.  

With a 50k budget I’d have something custom built. Have professionals install everything and set it all up your man cave. Could probably get everything you need and done for 20-25k. 

Then hire a local reef shop to maintain it, a tank that size is a big time commitment and with that kind of budget I’d rather enjoy my tank than maintenance it. 

• Like 1

yeah, I agree the coral insert looks very "cheesy".. not sure of the right word.  I talked to the guy and he said the tan and stand were made by AGE.  Three sides are special clear glass.  Starfire?  The coral insert was apparently like $7k.  So I think I could get the tank for somewhere in the $10k range.  Everything is actually brand new.    I would like to get tank, fish and some easy corals.  I basically have $50k to spend on it.  It would go in my man cave room which is 20 feet wide and 20 feet long.  I really like that it is soo long, I think it would look dramatic.       

Well AGE is a known and proven manufacturer so that's good. I would at the very least send those dimensions to them and ask for a quote. That way you compare new vs used price. Ask them about any secondary warranty on the tank if it has really never been wet. I imagine the tank is 3/4” thickness? Starfire is great. It doesn't have that green tint so it looks clearer. It's softer glass so it can scratch easier, but most everyone prefers it.   

You'll need to account for installing an entire HVAC dehumidifier system in that area for all the evaporation. My tank is only 360 gallons and humidity is routinely in the mid to upper 60s. Depending on the structural setup of the man cave, that'll be another 10-15k. I still think you could do that within your budget, which is substantial.

Then of course is all the equipment. Another 1-2K for a sump (if you want something nice), probably 1K for a skimmer. Then you have to decide if you're doing coral. If you're going with real coral you'll have another 5k-15k in pumps and lights (depending on quality).

Where are you located? I'd contact@CuttleFishandCoral for advice on doing your maintenance.

I certainly don't want to talk you out of it because I'd love to see someone get a tank like this setup. But PLEASE talk to someone who had managed, maintained, or owned these kinds of tanks. That's why I tagged Jeff from Cuttlefish. He's taken care of tanks many times larger before. Keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Reefreef said:

I have been looking for a saltwater aquarium and this one caught my eye.  I can have it shipped to me for a little under $800.  Seems like a nice tank. This is my first tank though so any advice is appreciated.  I have been making a list of equipment that would be needed.  Seems like I will need a big pump and heaters. I would also like to get one of those neptune computers. 

thoughts>?  And thank you!!

https://giantaquariums.com/2020/02/24/1000-gallon-with-custom-insert-20000-tulsaoklahoma/

Shipping for 800.00 is scary coming from a transportation industry

that sounds like dock to dock no hands no liability- having it crated will be over 800.00 

It’s a guess but you might need 2 of those big pumps 😉  and your own dedicated 100 amp sub panel 

Congrats tho whichever way you go- you should start what’s called a build thread to document the progress- this could be epic 

Welcome to forum- You’ll find lots of helpful people 

• Like 1

I recommend contacting Jason Gregory of Clear Fabrications in seattle. I'm gonna have him build me my shop display tank, stand, and sump because his quotes were so competitive and reasonable that I instantly decided not to build my own. Not only that, he does the best acrylic work I've personally seen with my own 2 eyes. Plus there's nothing better than supporting local! PM me and I can shoot his number over.

• Like 1