Co2 refill

Gumby

The Airgas on 82nd in portland filled my 5lb yesterday... though I am not going to back after 12 years. They tacked on a $14 hazmat charge. Brought my 5lb fill to over $40 but my 20lb was only $25 2 weeks ago. 

https://www.centralwelding.com/ said they can fill and I think they said $16 for a 5lb and $26 for a 20lb. They are in PDX but have gas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I exchanged a 20lb with homebrew two weekends ago.  They said Covid has them going through 2x their normal CO2 rate.  Just call them, reserve a 20lb exchange, No Problems.  (Acknowledged, Not Exactly in Vancouver.   - Closer to Hillsboro.)

There is one on interstate in North PDX just off the freeway - super convenient. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Amaez90 said:

What are the benefits to adding a Co2 tank on a reef tank?

I have an extra Co2 from my freshwater planted tank and would love to set it up on my reef tank but I don't know what it is used for. 🤷‍♀️

These are used on calcium reactors to control the pH and dissolve media in the chamber. Definitely not piped directly into the tank like fresh water planted systems. 

34 minutes ago, albertareef said:

These are used on calcium reactors to control the pH and dissolve media in the chamber. Definitely not piped directly into the tank like fresh water planted systems. 

Got it! Thank you for the info!

Do you turn it on and off, have it on a timer, or just have it running?

1 hour ago, Amaez90 said:

Got it! Thank you for the info!

Do you turn it on and off, have it on a timer, or just have it running?

Well, there are various ways to set these up so no single answer here. Bubble rate combined with water flow through the reactor will determine the pH in the chamber and hence the release of calcium carbonate into the tank. People use needle vale’s and solenoids to control the co2 and often pH controls to regular those as well as peristaltic pumps and valves to control the water flow through the reactor and into the tank. Works great when dialed in but takes some work and lots of testing while you do that.  This is all to control alk calcium levels and replenish these as the hard corals grow. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Well, there are various ways to set these up so no single answer here. Bubble rate combined with water flow through the reactor will determine the pH in the chamber and hence the release of calcium carbonate into the tank. People use needle vale’s and solenoids to control the co2 and often pH controls to regular those as well as peristaltic pumps and valves to control the water flow through the reactor and into the tank. Works great when dialed in but takes some work and lots of testing while you do that.  This is all to control alk calcium levels and replenish these as the hard corals grow. 

Man, yeah I need to get this set up!