Varying results with api nitrate test

Lazyreefer

Hey there, I have an older api nitrate test kit that still says it’s good until September but I was curious because it was giving me high readings so I got a newer one. The newer one reads a good amount lower when tested with same water so I’m wondering is this something people have also experienced? If so what nitrate test do you use that you feel is the best one? Thanks for any input 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hey there, I have an older api nitrate test kit that still says it’s good until September but I was curious because it was giving me high readings so I got a newer one. The newer one reads a good amount lower when tested with same water so I’m wondering is this something people have also experienced? If so what nitrate test do you use that you feel is the best one? Thanks for any input [emoji1303]

I think most people will tell you that API test kits are not the best, especially for saltwater. I've had some wacky results with API as well in the past, I used them for freshwater tanks for years but switched to Salifert when I started with saltwater. I really like Salifert, they're affordable, easy to read and pretty accurate I think. Elos is another good brand too. Hanna checkers are nice but are more expensive, Red Sea is good too but if you want something reliable and affordable I'd recommend Salifert or Elos especially for nitrates. They're both pretty straight forward, easy and fast to use. I order mine on Amazon, they're quite a bit cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else I've found.  Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk  

7 hours ago, TaylorW said:

I think most people will tell you that API test kits are not the best, especially for saltwater. I've had some wacky results with API as well in the past, I used them for freshwater tanks for years but switched to Salifert when I started with saltwater. I really like Salifert, they're affordable, easy to read and pretty accurate I think. Elos is another good brand too. Hanna checkers are nice but are more expensive, Red Sea is good too but if you want something reliable and affordable I'd recommend Salifert or Elos especially for nitrates. They're both pretty straight forward, easy and fast to use. I order mine on Amazon, they're quite a bit cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else I've found.  Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk  

Okay that is pretty much what I’ve heard about all the other type of tests from API I use Hanna alk, Phosphate ULR, and the calcium tester. I was under the impression that the nitrate kit from them was a good one to use but it really is very hard for me to read the results from it. Thanks a lot and I will give the salifert nitrate test a try 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Also, when you say high vs good amount lower, what numbers are we talking about? 

I second using salifert test, as mentioned they are easy to read and I have had consistent results from them.

Basically the color went from a dark orange to a very very light orange from the old test kit to the new one while they both say they aren’t expired. I just stopped at that point because I had no idea which one was correct or how to tell which one is... I will definitely try salifert nitrate test kit and see if that ones easier thanks again 👍🏻