Anyone use an EcoSystem?

rude944

I told ya'll I wasn't out.

So here's my next plan. I want to go ecosystem. There was one at a LFS in Eugene on W 13th that I envied for it's simplicity and beauty. No more high maitenance, big energy bills, complicated and unnecessarily noisy systems in my house.

I already have a tank. Its 18x18x18, 25 gallons even. I have a 150 DE halide that I will hang from the ceiling to the open tank top. I want to use this ecosystem method here and employ a hangon filter with 24 hour pc lighting over caleurpa and 2" mud bed. No skimmer. No reactors. No UV or ozone. No lid. A chiller and heater combined (the PCI baby unit, of course). Plumbed with only one external powerhead. I think this is only 4 plugs in all (chiller, 2 PH's, 1 for lights). Simple.

I only want to keep some ricordea, rhodactus and discosoma, some softies, like elegans sp. and perhaps euphillia/elegance/fungia. If I get the bug, I'll get a tube anemone. Couple of fish and inverts, such as pistol and goby and perhaps some perculas and a gramma.

So has anyone ever used this method before? Any thoughts on such a setup?

ive got a couple setups with clients using there method the only thing iv got problem with is there high prices . So i have my buddy build the sump and i buy a xm skimmer and just use there mud that i get at 7.00 a pound they want a rediclous amount for there sump/protien skimmer package so i build my own at half the price but other then that im getting great results in these tanks.

I have read a few articles and forum threads about EcoSystem Aquarium® using Miracle Mud®, made popular by Leng Sy.

This page contains a few links to various articles. http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/

While analysis of the mud has been done, and some people will argue that there is nothing special about this mud, it does seem to contain high concentrations of iron and iodine, also it contains a fair amount of silica sand (30%). http://www.reefs.org/library/article/mm_analysis.html

Many people have had great success with the system. I would like to give it a try one of these days.

Nah, what is the pet store on 13th across the street from Aqua Serene, they had a tank a few years back that was right in the doorway. That just rocked. This is what I am trying to emulate, but improve upon.

I am considering the use of Halimedia, or seagrass, but am unsure about it as of now. Halimedia may require high levels of calcium, and seagrass tanks in and of themselves may not keep me interested, I want this tank to emulate a fore-reef. I'll know when I see it this weekend when I dive in Kauai.

As far as the mud is concerned, the silicate is troubling, but I anticipate that macro should out compete micro algae in the system. I may be dreaming... reefboy, do you see micro algae in these systems? Is there a diatom outbreak or cyano in this low flow environment? I plan on running this system skimmerless, without carbon and no uv, how was the clarity of the water compared to a berlin system?

No micro algae in the tank itself you walk a fine line without a skimmer in the setup id use cheto so u dont risk algae going into sexaul repo on you and dumping all the nutrients back into tank, and yes ive seen diatoms and cryno but uslly only in start ups of the system after that there fine unless the client over feeds or adds more fish without me knowing when his or her tank has a low coral count. But even Ecosystem put skimmers in there setups now so as i think its just easier to keep nutrient load down with skimmer rather then just relying on alagae alone to do the job just safer in my opinion but if u stick with hardier nutrient loving corals and have a higher coral to fish population everything should balance nicely the way u want and definately be more natural.:D hope i helped.