I got an idea for frag tanks - what do u think?

So I have been thinking of starting a frag tank to tie into my current system (reefer 250). I first found a little glass IM 6 gallon tank with frag rack that fits perfectly. Was going to drill it and put it on a shelf next to the current tank. Shortly after getting home with it I found a 20"x20"x12.5" acrylic frag tank with over flow on here. Swooped on that as well. I was talking with my kiddos asking their opinions and they asked why can't we do both? So I thought yeah why not. My oldest decided he wants to make the small 6 gallon tank to be a rock flower nem only tank and then the 20 gallon frag tank for fragging and grow out. So here is a rough sketch and a couple of pics of vague positioning. Thinking of building g the stand out of steel and making magnetic panels to cover underneath. Also I am going to plumb it into the sump of the reefer 250.

20200407_144905.jpg

20200407_145015.jpg

20200407_145114.jpg

• Like 2

I thought of double stacking frag tanks.  My conclusion was, the top tank was too high for me.  Would have to maintain it on a ladder.   How about lowering the stand height.   Make the top of the 20gallon at the same height top of the STAND of the existing tank.  And then the little top tank would drop down to a maintainable, and easier to look tops down, height.

• Like 1

As someone who has worked in the industry for close to 20 years, I have found that if I can’t easily reach into a tank without needing to get on a ladder or stoop way over, I won’t end up doing proper maintenance and the tanks usually end up suffering. Frag tanks by nature need a lot of tinkering, frags get knocked over, and need to be moved, eggcrate needs to be cleaned cause it grows algae so well, etc. my opinion would be find a way to get the frag tank at a more manageable height. Aside from potential maintenance issues it’s a fun idea.

• Like 2

Funny you mention that a lot of people will fail to do maintenance in a tank that's too tall to reach anything in, I was having the same issues and one of my tanks was suffering because of it. My husband brought me home a step stool and problem solved lol. I just keep it in my closet and pull it out when needed, it's a life saver since grabbers are handy but there's still a lot grabbers can't do and sometimes you need to pull your sleeves up and get in there manually. By the way I love the idea of a Rock Flower tank, I've had that idea myself but haven't been able to convince the husband it's an awesome idea, go figure [emoji848] I love to see the look on his face when I show him ads of tanks for sale, or a fish or coral I want to buy. All I have to say is *guitars* because he thinks my hobby is expensive but his guitars and all his music equipment cost waaaaay more than I've spent lol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really appreciate the input. I totally didnt think about the height when it came to cleaning the top tank. The top tank is planned to be just rock flower nems and was going to make a minimal rockscape that slopes in the middle, but a top down view would be awesome of them. 

What do you all think if I dropped the over all height by 12"?

Thanks again everyone