need opinion on new tank

Silvas

I have a 2nd hand Aqueon 90 Gallon reef ready that needs to be resealed.  I was going to try to reseal it, even though I was nervous about it.  I started trying to remove the overflow box so I could reseal the whole tank properly and it started feeling like I was going to cut into the plastic of the overflow trying to get the silicone (or rubber?  it didn't feel like silicone) up, lost my nerve, and have decided to buy a new tank because I just don't want to risk screwing it up and putting 90 gallons of salt water all over the laminate floors and the subfloor.

And here's where I'm stuck.  Trying to decide what tank.  They all have their pros and cons.  I'm looking for some opinions from the community here.  Anyone have a favorite brand, or favor one of these tanks above the others?  Help me pick!

I am considering another Aqueon 90 gallon reef ready, with the offset back center overflow, shown here: https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-48lx18wx24h-90gal.aspx

It's a nice enough tank I suppose, but that frame is hella chunky and kinda ugly.

Also considering a seapora 80 gallon reef ready frag tank https://www.amazon.com/Seapora-56219-Aquarium-Ready-Gallon/dp/B01JS2S8PY/

Looks a lot nicer to my eyes, but at only 16 inches high I worry it might be just a bit too shallow?

Then there's the acrylic route, a clear for life 100G https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquariums/clear-for-life-100-gallon-rectangle-aquarium-5188321.html

Though it's one of the most expensive ones I've considered and doesn't have an overflow so I'd have to buy one separately.

Then there's the 2 from scaquariums I've been looking at, the 90G https://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-90-Gallon-Cube-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-90gc.htm and 100G http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-100-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-100g.htm

These both look nice and aren't too badly priced.  The 100G unfortunately doesn't look like I could use my Orbit IC Pro mounting arms and brackets on, as they only go to 1.5" wide and the eurobrace is over 2" wide, and the lip above the eurobrace is only like 0.35 inches tall, not enough to clamp onto.  So I'd have to find another way, or make another bracket somehow, for the orbit IC Pro lights

The 90G is just barely as wide as my Orbit IC Pro lights (36") so they'd go edge to edge.  Both of them unfortunately have the drains and overflow dead center on the back, and I would be building a stand and usually like to put vertical and horizontal cross bracing in the center of the stand which would interfere with the drains.  If I went with one of these I'd have to do my horizontal cross bracing at 1/3 and 2/3 and instead of 2 2x4s for the center vertical I'd have to use metal T braces on the sides of the top and vertical support.

Of course there's also always the option of going and picking up whatever 65g or 75g or 90g tank and stand combo I can find cheap at petsmart.

21 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

clear for life tanks have undersized acrylic panels.  They are totally safe put they should be called bowed for life.  I would avoid like the plague. 

Thanks for the tip.  Definitely will take that one out of the running

That seapora 80 is a nice tank and the shallow depths make a really cool lagoon tank. You can do some cool things with a lagoon and lighting it is no worries. Here is a picture of my lagoon and it is only 12" deep76dacf61a3475cabdb34aedd71750df7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fpd4308 said:

That seapora 80 is a nice tank and the shallow depths make a really cool lagoon tank. You can do some cool things with a lagoon and lighting it is no worries. Here is a picture of my lagoon and it is only 12" deep

Not gonna lie, I have been eyeing that seapora.  I'd definitely have to build my stand higher than I was planning on for that one though, I was planning on about 36" high on the stand, but that was assuming a 24" tall tank.

My only kinda gripe with Seapora is their warranty policy - they warrant it for 5 years if using a stand manufactured by seapora.  Using a stand not manufactured by seapora results in only having a 90 day warranty.  I know many (if not all) tank mfg's restrict warranty to commercially mfg'd stands, but restricting it to only your own stands is a bit overly restrictive in my opinion.

My stand is 36" tall and it is perfect while your sitting on the couch or chairs in the living room. I could go for a bit taller if your standing up close to the tank, maybe 42", but the stand was originally built for that exact seapora tank your looking at. I ended up changing to an advanced acrylics 48x24x12 with 3/4" acrylic; which, I got used from cuttlefish for a very fair price. I can tell you the seapora I had prior was well built and looked nice. I wouldnt hesitate on that tank if you are interested in doing a lagoon style tank. I really enjoy my lagoon. Cool reefscape opportunities and super easy to clean and move things around (no wet shirt sleeves). I wouldnt go back to another deep tank myself.

8 minutes ago, fpd4308 said:

My stand is 36" tall and it is perfect while your sitting on the couch or chairs in the living room. I could go for a bit taller if your standing up close to the tank, maybe 42", but the stand was originally built for that exact seapora tank your looking at. I ended up changing to an advanced acrylics 48x24x12 with 3/4" acrylic; which, I got used from cuttlefish for a very fair price. I can tell you the seapora I had prior was well built and looked nice. I wouldnt hesitate on that tank if you are interested in doing a lagoon style tank. I really enjoy my lagoon. Cool reefscape opportunities and super easy to clean and move things around (no wet shirt sleeves). I wouldnt go back to another deep tank myself.

Definitely going to be something for me to think about, this will be my first ever reef tank and in a way I'm kinda glad for the snags and pitfalls I've been hitting, as it has just kept me researching while I figure out my way around the latest snag, extending my learning time so by the time I actually get a tank running I will probably have a solid 6 months of reading and researching in haha

Only frustrating part about it is I have all this equipment laying around not getting used yet - lights, pump, powerheads, rodi unit etc... I keep looking at it and thinking jeez I want to set it all up!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

well now that I've waffled around enough on it (and the 80g seapora lagoon tank went up in price to 701) I finally decided on the SC Aquariums 90g rimless 36x24x24.  Ordered it this morning, should have it by end of next week it looks like

It had come down to pretty much the seapora or the SC, I think what really sealed it for me was the SC being starfire vs the seapora being regular glass and steve telling me he'd honor the warranty using my own built stand so long as I used solid 3/4 top (except the drain cutout) and self leveling mat.  The $99 extra over the seapora was worth it for those 2 things.

• Like 2

well now that I've waffled around enough on it (and the 80g seapora lagoon tank went up in price to 701) I finally decided on the SC Aquariums 90g rimless 36x24x24.  Ordered it this morning, should have it by end of next week it looks like

It had come down to pretty much the seapora or the SC, I think what really sealed it for me was the SC being starfire vs the seapora being regular glass and steve telling me he'd honor the warranty using my own built stand so long as I used solid 3/4 top (except the drain cutout) and self leveling mat.  The $99 extra over the seapora was worth it for those 2 things.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing a build thread, I say it all the time but I love seeing people's tanks progress. It's awesome that you are doing your research and planning, my first saltwater tank I just dove right in without knowing much, I had several years of freshwater experience but it still didn't prepare me for saltwater. I learned a lot of things the hard way, then started reading, studying, watching videos (Melevsreef is still a favorite of mine) so you're definitely off to a better start that I was

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Nice! Looking forward to seeing a build thread, I say it all the time but I love seeing people's tanks progress. It's awesome that you are doing your research and planning, my first saltwater tank I just dove right in without knowing much, I had several years of freshwater experience but it still didn't prepare me for saltwater. I learned a lot of things the hard way, then started reading, studying, watching videos (Melevsreef is still a favorite of mine) so you're definitely off to a better start that I was

Hopefully that'll start in the next week or 2, I don't have a tracking number for the tank but SC has it marked as shipped and I got an email notification that it was shipped

Probably start the thread with building my stand after the tank gets here and I can get a few measurements to double check my plans and make sure everything is going to clear.  I really don't want to burn all my lumber building the stand then find out there isn't enough room to get the bulkhead nuts on past the 2x4 frame rail on the back lol

• Like 1

Hopefully that'll start in the next week or 2, I don't have a tracking number for the tank but SC has it marked as shipped and I got an email notification that it was shipped
Probably start the thread with building my stand after the tank gets here and I can get a few measurements to double check my plans and make sure everything is going to clear.  I really don't want to burn all my lumber building the stand then find out there isn't enough room to get the bulkhead nuts on past the 2x4 frame rail on the back lol

Yeah that would probably happen too lol, best to wait and take all your measurements. It's so nice to see people just starting doing such a great job with planning, I remember just tossing up an old freshwater tank expecting things to work with the bare minimum [emoji51] ended up learning a ton as I progressed but it definitely would have been much better to start out like you're doing

woot, I got a call from the freight company today my tank is scheduled to be here sometime next tuesday.  

Also picked up a used in very good condition 26" trigger systems emerald sump from a guy locally last night, to replace the old basic eshopps one the baffles started separating from the sides on when I was cleaning it

• Like 2

woot, I got a call from the freight company today my tank is scheduled to be here sometime next tuesday.  
Also picked up a used in very good condition 26" trigger systems emerald sump from a guy locally last night, to replace the old basic eshopps one the baffles started separating from the sides on when I was cleaning it

Awesome [emoji106] I'm getting excited with you lol! So how far are you on a livestock list? Any ideas for fish stocking yet? I realize you have a little time but I'm curious [emoji6]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorW said:

Awesome emoji106.png I'm getting excited with you lol! So how far are you on a livestock list? Any ideas for fish stocking yet? I realize you have a little time but I'm curious emoji6.png

Haha I haven't gotten too far into the livestock yet, I know I want a clown or 2 and a tang or 2, for the grandkids.

For corals, I'll probably start with some easy to care for softies, make a few islands for some of the things that are hard to contain but are still nice looking like GSP.  There's a BRS 5 minute video on beginner corals and I like pretty much all of them, several they recommend to isolate on islands, and they produce a lot of sway which will mesmerize the kids.

A good part of this is going to be centered around getting and keeping the grandkids engaged.  I want to have things besides just working on the house or working on the car, recreation  and what I do for a living (IT work) that I can teach to them and help inspire them... who knows maybe I'll help inspire a future marine biologist or oceanographer :)

• Like 1

And it has arrived.  My heart skipped a few beats when I saw the carton, because it had a nice half oval rip in it on one of the sides, and the styrofoam inside had been slightly mangled and compressed in, but I didn't see any cracks on the glass panel or any sign of damage on the tank itself, nor did it look like the styrofoam was broken through all the way so I went ahead and signed for the delivery.  I'm home alone so I can't unpack it right now, beyond getting it open enough to check for damage.

It looks like it came with all 3 bulkheads, the primary drain pipe and the return, but not the emergency drain standpipe or a strainer for the drainpipe intake, so I'll have to get those, or reuse some plumbing from my aqueon megaflow kit if any of it will work

it's definitely bigger looking than I expected.  I'm sure it's just my eyes, but it looks wider than 24 inches to me, in person at least.

IMG_20200421_142657.jpg

• Like 1