Help from people with Red Sea reefer 350

Lazyreefer

Hey there, I am thinking that this is a silly question I believe it’s to the point where it needs to be addressed but I have been putting this off and it has gotten to be a good amount of salt creep now but I haven’t cleaned it off really ever. Do you get some salt creep from this pipe in this area as well? Or is this definitely too much and needs to be replaced. My issue is I am not sure if I will be able to get the part right now and also I have heard replacing that piping is very difficult. Thanks for any help! 

A5B51EE3-4A7A-4B9B-94C0-438F3D6E8E01.jpeg

A893FC6E-6FD5-475E-990B-B9DEE8D5B591.jpeg

I have a Reefer XL 425 which has the same plumbing as the Reefer 350.  Mine does not have any salt creep on the overflow plumbing, even after 2 years of use.  I'm guessing yours just isn't tightened enough, but I've heard of many people over tightening and cracking the fittings, so you have to be very careful.

IMG_8312.jpg

Very easy to over tighten these and crack them. Have done it twice 😂. On the plus side it’s super easy to replace, first try cleaning it and tightening it up a bit to see if it’s loose. 

If it’s cracked/defected fish tank direct carry’s all the plumbing parts. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

Very easy to over tighten these and crack them. Have done it twice 😂. On the plus side it’s super easy to replace, first try cleaning it and tightening it up a bit to see if it’s loose. 

If it’s cracked/defected fish tank direct carry’s all the plumbing parts. 

Yea I have heard I was very worried about that when attaching so next water change empty out that return chamber completely and try to tighten it? Or just while it’s running I can try to tighten it up some you think? Also thanks for that website very useful 👌🏻

29 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

Yea I have heard I was very worried about that when attaching so next water change empty out that return chamber completely and try to tighten it? Or just while it’s running I can try to tighten it up some you think? Also thanks for that website very useful 👌🏻

You can do it while full, I have my S/O hold the bottom pipe in the stand and I hand tighten from the top

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

If you've waited this long, may be worth to wait a little longer...  And order TWO replacement rings and wait until they arrive before trying to tighten.  That way you have new ones in case you crack one (or two) trying to tighten.

Just a thought.

That was actually my exact thought, I would pretty nervous to try to tighten it without a replacement there ready unfortunately with my tinkering skills. You’re saying it’s the actual o ring I would just need to replace though? I though it would be the whole pipe 

First, just to be clear - I don't have a Red Sea.  But I've read many people talk about cracking the bulk head ring.  And followed the links directly

Fishtanksdirect.com -> Fish tanks -> by Brand -> Red Sea -> Replacement Parts -> Reefer 350 

Scroll Scroll Scroll -> Red Sea replacement bulkhead ring  

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/red-sea-replacement-bulkhead-ring.aspx

(Yes, it says they're out of stock)

For those who've cracked these... I assume it's the plastic bulkhead ring, not the O-Ring seal, that cracks.    

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

First, just to be clear - I don't have a Red Sea.  But I've read many people talk about cracking the bulk head ring.  And followed the links directly

Fishtanksdirect.com -> Fish tanks -> by Brand -> Red Sea -> Replacement Parts -> Reefer 350 

Scroll Scroll Scroll -> Red Sea replacement bulkhead ring  

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/red-sea-replacement-bulkhead-ring.aspx

(Yes, it says they're out of stock)

For those who've cracked these... I assume it's the plastic bulkhead ring, not the O-Ring seal, that cracks.    

Even if you don’t have a reefer, very helpful info! I emailed them asking when they might be in and if I could grab one when they do and am looking through other parts. Thank you again.