DIY regulator build

Willapa

I couldn’t bring myself to drop $350 on a carbon doser but wanted something more constant than a single stage regulator commonly sold for reef tanks. I got inspired by the reef central thread below. The process was really fun and I learned a lot. I was able to buy all the parts shipped on eBay for $200. It took a while to hunt parts down, so if you’re not in a hurry, you can build a very nice analytical grade 2 stage regulator for a decent price. 2 stage regulators deliver constant supply pressure regardless of the cylinder pressure or level. So supposedly don’t dump CO2 when it gets low. The air gas regulator is chrome plated brass, but the needle valve, solenoid, fittings, and check valve are all stainless. Check it out!

Can’t wait to get this going.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461771

Here are all the parts before assembly:

951723ec5bc8cd60822c978f6ce2f460.jpg

d7159bd708e571e99eb18f99c9836dfb.jpg0bd30dafdec4455df1757545b1245d59.jpg

Here is the finished regulator after leak testing passed:

a5858ae75209e17f279cb0f4c386dccf.jpg443082666a144ebc0e2d618b8aad2016.jpg272509be334528a39d757b0ac03dd0f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nice build, I was using some chrome brass connectors and showing oxidation fast. Stainless connector part is the way to go.
I use digital solenoid like this one, very low amp 12vdc solenoid so didn't get hot at all
0000076_clippard-dv-2m-12-solenoid-with-manifold.jpeg

Thanks and good to know about the solenoid. The burkert I used is 24v 4w but does get super hot.

Nice build, I was using some chrome brass connectors and showing oxidation fast. Stainless connector part is the way to go.
I use digital solenoid like this one, very low amp 12vdc solenoid so didn't get hot at all
0000076_clippard-dv-2m-12-solenoid-with-manifold.jpeg

Where did you find that solenoid? That website shown in picture no longer exists

5 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Try this
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-regulator-solenoid

they apparently use a modified (low volume) version of the Clippard in the Carbon Doser regulators so these should work well.  I rebuilt one recently so had to dig into it a bit.  I can't confirm the "custom" aspect of the aquariumplants.com part but ended up getting it from them just in case as it wasn't that much more money.  Would be curious though if anyone used one of the standard Clippard parts to try and rework one of those units or build their own electronic controlled version (basically just tying one of these to a timer chip).  Seems like someone in this crowd must have gone there 😁

3 hours ago, albertareef said:

they apparently use a modified (low volume) version of the Clippard in the Carbon Doser regulators so these should work well.  I rebuilt one recently so had to dig into it a bit.  I can't confirm the "custom" aspect of the aquariumplants.com part but ended up getting it from them just in case as it wasn't that much more money.  Would be curious though if anyone used one of the standard Clippard parts to try and rework one of those units or build their own electronic controlled version (basically just tying one of these to a timer chip).  Seems like someone in this crowd must have gone there 😁

Carbon Doser using mechanical clippard solenoid that you can buy at electronic surplus place in Hillsboro

• Thanks 1

Awesome job!  A good regulator absolutely upped my CR game.  It was nuts before it.  Looks like a great quality build!

Thanks! There are great deals to be had on eBay if you’re willing to hunt for a while and know what parts are suitable. Can’t wait to get the tank switched over to the reactor.

2 hours ago, Willapa said:

Thanks! There are great deals to be had on eBay if you’re willing to hunt for a while and know what parts are suitable. Can’t wait to get the tank switched over to the reactor.

For sure!  That is where I picked mine up.  Now that you are rocking it, you should build more and resell!

• 1 month later...
What type of 24vdc power supply/adapter are you using for the Clippard solenoid? Thanks.

If you’re talking about the clippard that @goldenbasketreef called out, that one looks to be 12v dc. Any 12v dc power adapter rated for 1 amp or less should work. The berkert I used was 24v dc and I had a power adapter from a broken jaebo pump lying around that worked. You might have an adapter that size from an unused electronic or just buy one off amazon for 10 bucks.

• Like 1

If you’re talking about the clippard that @goldenbasketreef called out, that one looks to be 12v dc. Any 12v dc power adapter rated for 1 amp or less should work. The berkert I used was 24v dc and I had a power adapter from a broken jaebo pump lying around that worked. You might have an adapter that size from an unused electronic or just buy one off amazon for 10 bucks.

That’s the beauty that many miss. It’s literally just a transformer to a voltage with general amp output, not some proprietary product that will blow up anything other than what’s named

• Like 1