How is everyone holding up?

SuncrestReef

I’m a grocery store manager.  Let me tell you what a little slice of hell this is.  Unlike medical workers, we have little to no PPE and get to see hundreds of people a day.  Full families still coming in with kids touching everything.  Stores are a social hotspot.  Here in Lane County, people don’t get it.  I see some people every day, some several times a day.  People are pushy,  unapologetic and demanding.  Don’t get me wrong, there are some great people out there looking out for our well being, but there are a large quantity of people that need to wake up and realize that this is not a vacation.  The first weekend of the shutdown we had a massive amount of people headed to the coast.  This is going to get worse before it gets better.  Please when you go out, be respectful to your retail workers who are just trying to get through the day as safely as possible.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

I’m a grocery store manager.  Let me tell you what a little slice of hell this is.  Unlike medical workers, we have little to no PPE and get to see hundreds of people a day.  Full families still coming in with kids touching everything.  Stores are a social hotspot.  Here in Lane County, people don’t get it.  I see some people every day, some several times a day.  People are pushy,  unapologetic and demanding.  Don’t get me wrong, there are some great people out there looking out for our well being, but there are a large quantity of people that need to wake up and realize that this is not a vacation.  The first weekend of the shutdown we had a massive amount of people headed to the coast.  This is going to get worse before it gets better.  Please when you go out, be respectful to your retail workers who are just trying to get through the day as safely as possible.  

Wow, I feel for you, and I'm sure this must be stressful.

I shop primarily at a New Seasons in SW Beaverton.  I think they've done a great job to control the shopping experience by implementing the following rules:

1. They changed the doors to only allow entry at one and exit at the other.
  2. When you arrive at the entrance, they have orange circles painted on the sidewalk 6 feet apart outside leading into the store.  People need to stand on these circles until instructed to enter.
  3. A store employee has an iPad to keep track of the number of people entering and exiting the store, so they can maintain the maximum number of shoppers inside at any time.
  4. They are requesting only single shoppers rather than groups if possible.  This is not a hard requirement, but people seem to be respecting it.
  5. Once you're allowed to enter, all the shopping carts are inside and already pre-sanitized for you.
  6. Each of the normally congested areas (meat/seafood counters, checkout lanes) have those same orange circles on the floor to help people keep properly distanced.
  7. You're not allowed to put items onto the checkout conveyor until the person ahead of you has left.
  8. Each cashier has a plastic sneeze guard blocking them from the customers.
  9. As you leave, the iPad count is updated so another customer is permitted to enter.

IMG_8304.jpg

89925420_10219015515132028_14522340989730816_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.38.57 PM.png

• Like 2

Great System.   And I'll be the price of Plastic Sneeze Guards has gone up.  I saw costco installing them last week.  (broke the frame of my glasses.  THAT was a pain to convince costco to bend their rules and let the optometry department place a rush order on frames.   But they were Great and did a Next Day order.)