Eel recommendations?

Lazyreefer

Hey there, bored and in quarantine like most of us should be doin! Looking at my Red Sea reefer 350 and it has a blue tang, majestic fox face, 3 blue chromis, tri color fairy wrasse, 1 black cardinal, and a barbonius anthias. My lid is from clearviewlids and fits very well with no areas for escape. If this was your tank and you were wanting to add an eel, first off what one would you get for a reefer 350? Would you remove any fish to add the eel? Lastly where would you source it from in Portland area or from live Aquaria or something? Thanks for any input hope y’all are staying happy and healthy and have someone like my kitty to lounge around with! 

9B7BCA1B-646C-44C4-BFEC-107A506EA48E.jpeg

Edited by Lazyreefer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Any eel will potentially be a threat to your smaller fish. I'm not sure how big that tank is or if you have sand but check out then engineer goby. The adults look like eels

Yea I guess I agree. They are all healthy and active and I have seen a lot of tanks where they have made it work and I am curious of those experiences I guess and what each person would plan to do for one in my case. The engineer goby is super cool I just think it is very destructive in most cases I’ve seen and will dig to the point of moving your rockscape a lot of times I appreciate it tho 👌🏻

I have 2 engineer gobys (which are still pretty new tbh) and ya they dig but haven't done any damage. I also heard everyone saying they would topple my rockwork but what I've found is that's just people repeating info they've heard from other people that don't own the gobies themselves. 

I did a R2R post on the subject and got some good advice from people that actually own engineer gobies and found that they aren't so bad. I can link it if you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxkenny90xx said:

I have 2 engineer gobys (which are still pretty new tbh) and ya they dig but haven't done any damage. I also heard everyone saying they would topple my rockwork but what I've found is that's just people repeating info they've heard from other people that don't own the gobies themselves. 

I did a R2R post on the subject and got some good advice from people that actually own engineer gobies and found that they aren't so bad. I can link it if you want. 

That would be sweet, they are awesome fish that’s cool you have 2 together. I was thinking my best bets are Hawaiian golden dwarf or snowflake 👌🏻

45 minutes ago, kilmca said:

golden dwarf moray eel is my only recommendation.  got one from CnC.  all the fish we have with it are pretty small and no problems yet.  

Nice that was what I was thinking from the beginning I just would want kind of a bigger one if I could for this size tank because all of them I’ve seen were super small. I had one before but could never get it to eat no matter what I offered.... what do you feed yours and how long have you had it?

• Like 1

the one we have is about a foot long.  it's in a 54 gallon corner tank so we didn't have any other option for eels in that size tank.  i feed it LRS Reef Frenzy which has chunks of clams and other stuff.  Takes it right out of the tongs.  Feed it once or twice a week.    

1 hour ago, kilmca said:

the one we have is about a foot long.  it's in a 54 gallon corner tank so we didn't have any other option for eels in that size tank.  i feed it LRS Reef Frenzy which has chunks of clams and other stuff.  Takes it right out of the tongs.  Feed it once or twice a week.    

Awesome, you get it from cuttlefish? If anyone reading this thread has a place I can get a golden dwarf locally or someone who needs to get rid of one or something I would love to add one to my tank!