Brooklynella?

Nicknjo

Quick question, so I picked up 2 clowns and a sailfin tang about 9 days ago and put them in my QT. They all appear healthy except one of the clowns had a white stringy poo about 3 days ago. I was thinking it was some type of internal parasites as there was no strange behavior and no physical signs of any other disease. Talked to my LFS and they said it's probably brooklynella. Either way they are already in QT which is now @2.0 copper power and about to start treating with api GC and metro in the food. Is it possible that brook could go this long with no symptoms? It hasnt had another striny poo since the one 3 days ago.

Thanks18bf52991869ea2dab1b6c78d437cbfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brook usually causes patches of mucus to build up on the skin..which is caused by the skin sloughing off.

If you dont see any outward signs (skin irritations, patches that "look weird" or I have seen pictures where it presents like squiggly lines) you are probably fine.

It is an external parasite and will not cause stringy poop. A 45 minute bath in formalin will kill it.

If your in pdx in the future give me a holler and I can give you some formalin. It's good to have around.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Curious can foxfaces get this?   I noticed mine has like a mucus shedding off him every few days or so...
From my research,,, seems to be most common in clown fish with the possibility to transfer to other fish. Here is a link to humblefish on brook, whom I've been taking most of my commands from (with help from here as well) in this QT process.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/brooklynella.5/

If it's an internal parasite you might want to try prazipro. We were just discussing this exact situation on a Facebook page, someone recently bought a Clown with white stringy poo that turned out to be internal parasites, treated with prazi. Another had a female Clown with them so bad she quit eating and after treatment is doing much better. I'm no expert on the subject (like, at all) but it's something you might want to look into

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

If it's an internal parasite you might want to try prazipro. We were just discussing this exact situation on a Facebook page, someone recently bought a Clown with white stringy poo that turned out to be internal parasites, treated with prazi. Another had a female Clown with them so bad she quit eating and after treatment is doing much better. I'm no expert on the subject (like, at all) but it's something you might want to look into

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I'm currently treating with general cure (metro+prazi) in the water column, and treating the food with metro+focus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up. Ended up being brook. Got worse and worse and both clowns showed symptoms. On humblefishes advice I did a 30 min H202 bath on all 3 fish. One of the clowns didn't make it till through the next morning but the other clown appears to be better than ever. Another 2 weeks in qt with metro and if all goes well the DT will finally get its first inhabitants as long as nothing else come up lol.

Sorry to hear that. At least you had the sense to treat them and cure the other ones. Brook is a killer!!

Yeah lots of lessons learned through this. Thankfully this hobby has so many friendly people willing to help and offer advice.[emoji869]

• Like 1

Always something to learn. I didnt know about the h2o2 dip. Can you remember what the concentration was?

I thought really or formalin was the go to.

150ppm

This is the link

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/hydrogen-peroxide.21/

I used 10 ml with 2 litres of salt water or 20ml per gallon in a 30 min bath. I plan on doing this as a pre quarantine measure from now on. Doesn't seem as as harsh as formalyn nor as dangerous to the user. Not as tested though so we'll see what livestock is tolerant.

• Like 1