Micah's Hobby Re-Entry Build

Micah

Alrighty!  I'm back (I posted about this in the general area).  I've been collecting stuff here and there (HUGE thanks to some of you fine folks for priming my hobby pump) and I'm finally to a point where it's time to dump some coin and get my box of water.   

So.. I did it, I pulled the trigger on a WaterBox 180.5 - should be arriving some time this or next week.  Also on the list is a Neptune Systems COR-20 pump.    That should be enough to keep me busy during this whole shelter in place.  I also have a quarantine system consisting of two 20 gallon tanks, some HOB stuff, etc.  Going to get those cycled here shortly so I can at least get some fish in the QT while I set up the main tank.  Special thanks to @Gil&Fin for the tanks, the old RODI systems and the other miscellaneous items. It's been a huge help.  

My goal for this build is a fully sterile aquarium.  I've been pretty loose with my tanks in the past and I've always been that "Ich is everywhere, why bother trying" guy and this time I want to do it right.  I'll be following the Humblefish/Elliot Lim quarantine method.  I realize it's a lot of work, but I'm getting my garage all set up with the right stuff to make my life a little easier.  

I've ordered some replacement filters/DI resin/float valve/source water adapters/etc for the RODI system I'm making. They should be here shortly and I'll be able to fill this big boy water mixing station that I bought from @pdxmonkeyboy.  

Stay tuned, I'll be updating as I go and putting in lots of pictures.

Edited by Micah
Added link to tank info/tagged people
  • Like 8

Just now, albertareef said:

Excited to see you back and interested to see what you do with that waterbox!  Nice score on the mixing station... that was tempting.

Glad to be back! This will be my first tank that isn't a heavily modded off the shelf petco/aqueon style tank.   It'll be nice to have some quality to be proud of.

40 minutes ago, Micah said:

Here's the water mixing station I got.  It's not in it's final destination yet, and there are a few mods I'll be making prior to filling, but super stoked to have these things.  

1634829578_2020-03-0817_53_46.thumb.jpg.d6f0b603288cdaacf96a03cc41bb5358.jpg

Do yourself a huge favor by adding spigot valves at the bottom of each container.  It's so handy to be able to quickly dispense a small amount of either RO/DI to rinse something or saltwater to dip corals without needing to turn on a pump.  I use mine all the time:

IMG_2717.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Do yourself a huge favor by adding spigot valves at the bottom of each container.  It's so handy to be able to quickly dispense a small amount of either RO/DI to rinse something or saltwater to dip corals without needing to turn on a pump.  I use mine all the time:

Great tip.  Is that a quick-connect garden hose fitting you're using?

4 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Also let me know if you need any Apex help or advice.  I'm the guy who wrote the 8-part Apex tutorial series:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

Thanks.  I'm a giant Apex nerd myself, but I'm sure I'll need some refreshers.  Especially on things that are new since my last Apex.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Micah said:

Alrighty!  I'm back (I posted about this in the general area).  I've been collecting stuff here and there (HUGE thanks to some of you fine folks for priming my hobby pump) and I'm finally to a point where it's time to dump some coin and get my box of water.   

So.. I did it, I pulled the trigger on a WaterBox 180.5 - should be arriving some time this or next week.  Also on the list is a Neptune Systems COR-20 pump.    That should be enough to keep me busy during this whole shelter in place.  I also have a quarantine system consisting of two 20 gallon tanks, some HOB stuff, etc.  Going to get those cycled here shortly so I can at least get some fish in the QT while I set up the main tank.  Special thanks to @Gil&Fin for the tanks, the old RODI systems and the other miscellaneous items. It's been a huge help.  

My goal for this build is a fully sterile aquarium.  I've been pretty loose with my tanks in the past and I've always been that "Ich is everywhere, why bother trying" guy and this time I want to do it right.  I'll be following the Humblefish/Elliot Lim quarantine method.  I realize it's a lot of work, but I'm getting my garage all set up with the right stuff to make my life a little easier.  

I've ordered some replacement filters/DI resin/float valve/source water adapters/etc for the RODI system I'm making. They should be here shortly and I'll be able to fill this big boy water mixing station that I bought from @pdxmonkeyboy.  

Stay tuned, I'll be updating as I go and putting in lots of pictures.

Welcome back! I’m still running your old frag tank, btw. Works great!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress updates.   I build some stands for the garage.   One for the sump and aux/frag/etc tank and another for the two 20g quarantine tanks.  They'll be physically separated to keep contamination risk to a minimum.  364081372_2020-04-0700_08_04.thumb.jpg.3afc0da205a48898e6961f668a35356b.jpg

2020-04-06 21.54.59.jpg

• Like 2

I love my 200 INT.  Works great, easy maintenance.  (Yes, ignore the ugly cord jungle in this photo.   Working on it.)

I've got my skimmer in it's own tank to keep water height and flow consistent.   Overflow from the main tank goes into this skimmer tank, which sits directly above the sump.   A removable standpipe lets me adjust water level super easy.   Cut/recut/etc a few tries, and then never had to change it again.   This also acts as an easy tank to rescue any fish that try and go for thrill ride through the overflow plumbing.

IMG_2663.JPG

• Like 2

Nice! I'll be doing something similar. I had the older version of this exact skimmer on my old tank and while I liked it, I think it was oversized for that tank and it never quite skimmed right unless I fed the tank unrealistically heavy.