AI Prime light shield?

Snappy

I’ve been using my AI Prime HD on my nano cube for several years now. With the extra time at home it has come to higher priority of notice that the light tends to fill my living room. My daughter is under a year old, so spends most of her time on the floor or in her walker. Most of my living room is able to directly see the light from the side view. Without switching to a different style of light, is there a way to retrofit this one to prevent light from getting into our eyes from the side? I don’t want to void the warranty or safety features of the light. I considered making a veil or skirt to cover the bottom of the light, but figured that would affect the heat transfer and pose a fire risk. Anyone else have this issue and find a workaround? 

Thanks1A1920F6-0C27-4472-9242-595D65A0B7A7.thumb.jpeg.3e06e67f97e4de7e9db3d2bea1684abf.jpeg

838DAB2A-8E37-4602-99DC-12CFD7309B15.jpeg

it's not super pretty, but my answer was some 95% window tint. it was wide enough I folded it in half and wrapped it around my light (black box in my case).
You can hold it in place (at most kludge-y) by putting a piece of masking tape 2-3" from each corner so it kind of spans the corner as a sort of 'chamfer' corner. The window tint is light enough these little pieces of tape hold the tint up (because the tape is above the light). so the tint hangs down below the light several inches

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, Tandor69 said:

I also have the 3dreefing.com one and it is much better. No disco ball and light bleeding into the room is less. My fluval with the ai prime sits right next to my recliner.

IMG-1783.jpg

Is this an AI Prime light with cover? Looks good

Well this months meeting is cancelled. I’m in Salem and you are lake Oswego, so not sure how to meet up. I could maybe make a trip up there when I get bored enough in social isolation. Also have a $25 golden basket gift card I might be willing to part with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Krux I sent you a PM. I’d be interested in the shield if you can find it. If not let me know and I’ll order one from the 3D reef print. All the extra time inside has heightened my awareness of how much light it leeks into the living room (where I’ve spent 50% of the last month.)