Frags cluttering up your sandbed?

xxkenny90xx

Great idea! I've been wanting to drill a few holes in my rocks just for this purpose but I never knew what kind of drill bit to use. I have a lot of these types, are these similar to the ones you used? What size?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7f9e4f82a81e66e96999ec338c5940fc.jpg

2 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Great idea! I've been wanting to drill a few holes in my rocks just for this purpose but I never knew what kind of drill bit to use. I have a lot of these types, are these similar to the ones you used? What size?

7f9e4f82a81e66e96999ec338c5940fc.jpg

Spade bits like that are probably not the best idea. They will get caught on crevices and stop the drill in its tracks, it will hurt your wrist pretty bad. Masonry bits would be the best (silver ones below) but standard bit can work too(gold bit below). 

62795_W3.jpg

61aOSbThZmL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Like 1

Spade bits like that are probably not the best idea. They will get caught on crevices and stop the drill in its tracks, it will hurt your wrist pretty bad. Masonry bits would be the best (silver ones below) but standard bit can work too(gold bit below). 
62795_W3.thumb.jpg.d51579a3be684be15abc463d5253f843.jpg
61aOSbThZmL._AC_SX522_.jpg.d0f0708ab46258771e342f36ed683f3e.jpg
Thanks [emoji4] I'll just have to find my husband's drill now [emoji16]

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2020 at 8:30 PM, xmas_one said:

I had an idea a while back to make a masonry bit that would drill the hole and countersink the frag plug head too. Got busy with other things.

What were you thinking for the counter sink portion? All I can really come up with is using a forstner bit but I'd hate to chew it up. If the rock is soft enough to get 100 drills out of it, it would be worth machining to accept a 3/8 drill bit. Most the stone grinders I can think of are too big, hole saws would take several sizes or some chisel action. I have a ton of vertical real estate in my new pico and think this would be perfect, I hate seeing plugs.

Edited by Oasisreefling

7 hours ago, Oasisreefling said:

What were you thinking for the counter sink portion? All I can really come up with is using a forstner bit but I'd hate to chew it up. If the rock is soft enough to get 100 drills out of it, it would be worth machining to accept a 3/8 drill bit. Most the stone grinders I can think of are too big, hole saws would take several sizes or some chisel action. I have a ton of vertical real estate in my new pico and think this would be perfect, I hate seeing plugs.

I was originally about welding a couple of flat wings onto a drill bit, but I think that would likely jump around too much and make a mess of the rock.

How about nesting a bunch of diamond tipped glass hole saws around the 3/8” drill bit? Glass hole saws are super cheap and you should be able to get a ton of use out of them when cutting something soft like calcium carbonate live rock. 

Ya I agree with coralreef, I just used the regular wood bits, not spade bits. 

[emoji23] I don't know the difference between wood bits, spade bits [emoji848] I just had to look it up... I'm going to give it a try today. I have several frags in my sand that need to go somewhere else, turbo keeps knocking them over, this looks like a great solution to try. I've never been a fan of frag racks in my tanks, I do like the magnetic single frag mounts though if anyone has any magnetic single frag mounts they recommend?

On 3/22/2020 at 7:18 AM, xmas_one said:

I was originally about welding a couple of flat wings onto a drill bit, but I think that would likely jump around too much and make a mess of the rock.

How about nesting a bunch of diamond tipped glass hole saws around the 3/8” drill bit? Glass hole saws are super cheap and you should be able to get a ton of use out of them when cutting something soft like calcium carbonate live rock. 

I found this, Idk about the carbide for reef safety or whatever makes the bit that color but it would be super easy to lathe and thread a shortened bit to fit in place of the screw if there's enough meat in the bit.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/543-cutting-shaping-wheel