Duncan Coral

Saltfishlover

So I got a Duncan coral about a week ago.  I acclimated it and placed in lower light area at first due to shipping in dark.   A week later it still won't fully extend. It is barley visible poking out past the skeleton.  Tonight after lights went off it came out and is now full extended.  Is this normal?  It's sitting in at the bottom of my tank on the outside of a 100w led light.  I checked water and it's all normal.  All other coral is popping!  

Can you provide more details?  For example:

How old is your tank?
How strong is the water flow near the Duncan?
What are your specific water parameters?

• Salinity
  • Temp
  • Nitrates
  • Phosphates
  • pH range
  • Alkalinity
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium

When you say your other corals are "popping", what kinds of corals are they?  Are any similar to the needs of Duncans, such as hammers, torches, or frogspawn?

Any photos?

Without this kind of detailed information, it's really difficult to provide any guidance.

• Like 1

Tank is 40 gals,  set up for 7 months now, other corals doing fine, mostly softies. Water flow low/moderate

• Salinity 1.026
  • Temp 78
  • Nitrates .25
  • Phosphates 0
  • pH range 8
  • Alkalinity 9
  • Calcium 425
  • Magnesium (no test)

Not sure the parameters matter to it since it fully expands at night with lights off.  It retracts even if lights are at 5%

I've got similar water chemistry but my nitrates are actually lower than yours (about .1 - .15) and my Duncan fluffs up just fine during the day. When I initially bought the duncan, it would do the same thing, open at night and mostly close during the day. I found out that it would get fed during the night before i got it and started adding coral foods, that center on polyp extension, during the day and basically switched its feeding hours. And now it just opens during the day time period without the addition of food.Screenshot_20200316-121736_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b31686c2e9b6b82432c3ef3bb2f2f918.jpg

My duncans are my indicator coral. They tell me when something is off by not fully extending. If something major was off or changed they take time to reopen all the way. When they are first introduced if coming from an environment with different parameters they may take a few weeks to settle in. With stability they will adapt to their new environment. Once they settle in they should stay open and happy most the time. Since you say they are opening at night they must be healthy, just adapting. 
73A7316D-37FE-460E-8945-498806EA6EA5.thumb.jpeg.37c1971cbfc7d919f65db998196bdb15.jpeg

1 hour ago, Saltfishlover said:

High lights? Flow?  That's a good idea tho, I will do thaat

Mine is in random medium flow, enough to push the polyps all around. And I have mine at about the same level as some of my sps, so probably around 300ish par

57 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

My duncans are my indicator coral. They tell me when something is off by not fully extending. If something major was off or changed they take time to reopen all the way. When they are first introduced if coming from an environment with different parameters they may take a few weeks to settle in. With stability they will adapt to their new environment. Once they settle in they should stay open and happy most the time. Since you say they are opening at night they must be healthy, just adapting. 
73A7316D-37FE-460E-8945-498806EA6EA5.thumb.jpeg.37c1971cbfc7d919f65db998196bdb15.jpeg

Yea, it fully opens within 30 mins of lights going off and stay open until they first turn on.  Confused, but im happy if they are.  I'll take the advice and try to feed with lights on and see what happens next few weeks.  

They were one of the first corals I added to my reef 3.5 years ago. They have survived everything from major swings to a tank move. Originally they were in a much lower flow then my tank has now and much lower light as well. They currently are in fairly strong random flow and about 300 par. Throughout all these changes as my reefing skills grew they have survived, but have thrown many fits along the way. When they are happy I know my tank is happy.