Brown film in mixing container

Lazyreefer

So I’ve asked a similar question on here before about some white crusty stuff in the mixing container which turned out to be no issue but I’ve been noticing a brown film collecting in the corners and stuff in my brute container. Anything you guys have seen? I’m sure someone has just want to know if it’s something to be worried about or if it’s from the mj pump rusting or something like that 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for any input have a great day! 

9EF9B4D4-D13C-4298-87A2-7867F85E3EBC.jpeg

Edited by Lazyreefer

I think I heard somewhere that it was from not mixing your salt in the manufacturers recommended way.   Some salts say to heat the water, some don't.   I also have noticed that I got that stuff when not having enough water in the container and putting in too much salt.  The chemistry doesn't dissolve correctly and many of the dissolved elements (mag/ca/alk/trace) will precipitate out and create that crust/gunk. 

That's just my understanding and it could be entirely wrong.  

This video has some good general guidelines on what to do: 

Linked to the time at which they actually talk about precipitation/correct mixing/etc. 

• Thanks 1

haha...IME IO reef crystals would result in the thickest film and kent was not as bad but ive not had this issue with Red Sea.  not saying which salt is better but i like i don't get this film.  I always wait till the container is full of water before adding the salt.  i've never heated the water before adding salt.  

• Like 1

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt.  When I first set up my mixing station I would usually mix up 60 gallons at a time, and I just dumped the salt right in with the circulation pump running.  Within a few months I had a lot of brown film buildup and even thick sludge at the bottom.  Cleaning the mixing tank with vinegar worked but it was a pain. 

Now I pre-mix the salt in small batches in a bucket with 2 gallons of water first, then dump it into the mixing tank and repeat until I've added the correct amount.  I also added a powerhead in the mixing tank in addition to the circulation pump.  This has helped tremendously to reduce the brown film buildup and eliminated the sludge at the bottom.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all the above sentiments, I have seen that video and I use tropic Marin which actually was one of the best ones that they tested. I have good flow through my brute bin that’s why I was mainly confused about this brown stuff. I clean it out at least once a week as well which makes it odd to me it does it this much. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe I will never know but just try to wipe down and rinse out as often as possible I think is the best step? Thanks for the input 👌🏻

• Like 1