Looking for Local Sump/Box Builder

obrien.david.j

As part of my fishroom remodel, I need a new "sump".   In reality, it's a Plexi Box.    Nothing Fancy.  It's going in a garage fish room.   A few imperfections are not an issue, as long as it's Not Going To Fail.

Anyone have a reference for a plexi builder?   I'd like to contact them right away, but I don't need the box for 2+weeks.   Box size is 32” Long x 26” Wide x 23” Tall.

Please PM with contact info.

2020-02-26 OBrien New Sump-PNWMAS.jpg

19 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I think you are going to be in for a little wake up call in terms of timelines, and cost.

Help calibration me.     Also, remind me what kind of material would be good for this box.   I know not all plexi's are created equal - which kind do I want?    And thickness thoughts; 3/8",   1/2" ?   

Okay - I retract my question.  This sump will be 1/2" plexi.  

Little google work, found this site and reference and math.  https://www.goindustrial.ca/index.php/en/aquarium-building-with-acrylic

PLANNING YOUR TANK

To determine what thickness acrylic sheet should be used, the calculation below can be used assuming the base is uniformly supported.

aquariumdiagram.jpg T - thickness of sheet
H - height of tank
L - length of tank
Required Thickness T (in)= aquariumTeq.jpg

q = maximum water pressure (lbs/in.2) = (0.0361 lbs water/in3)* H (inches)
H = aquarium height (inches)
α = maximum permissible stress for ACRYLITE GP in an aquarium (750 psi)
β = coefficient from L/H relationship as follows:

L/H 0.25 0.50 0.75 1.00 1.50 2.00 3.00 4.00
β 0.037 0.120 0.212 0.321 0.523 0.677 0.866 0.940

Note: For L/H ratios not shown, use the β value for the next higher ratio.

calibration incoming...

1. it is not Plexiglas, it is Acrylic.   Plexiglas is a name brand of acrylic, like kleenex. 

2.  There are two general kinds of acrylic.  extruded and cast.  Cast is much much much stronger and doesn't melt when you machine it.  ALL aquariums are made from cast acrylic.  At that height, you will need cast. 

3.  at 23" height you can totally get away with 3/8" acrylic.  1/2 inch will bow less, but either one is way structurally sufficient.  If you are having a hack build it that is off the shelf solvents (not going to name names but local) then I would go 1/2.  The cost savings is nominal at best. 

4.  While you may want a box, your box will have to be braced along the top or it will bow and I mean bow BIG TIME.  2' tall 1/2 will probably bow 3-4" without a brace across the top. 

I think that timeframes for a custom build are going to be in the 2 month range

• Like 2

Thanks for the inputs, both in replies and PM's.   Today I went a different direction and decided i'll chop down a used 120 and make it into a sump.  (24 x 24 x 48)   It means I'll have to accommodate 1" taller than planned, and 2" narrower than planned.  But I'll see if I can fit a bit more than 32" into the spot.   

Why change directions?   Length of time to get a sump (have it now).  Cost, yes I got calibrated and decided to just put the cash other places.  

• Like 1

• Thanks for finding the icecap sump, looks really nice.   
  • Why 23", because three tanks (each about 24"x48" of surface area) are feeding into this sump when power goes off and I want maximum non-overflow capability

At this point - Sump Secured.   Will just have to break out the tools.