Mystery Cnidarian

andy

I spotted this fellow tucked in on the backside of a small outcropping of live rock. His location and apparent nocturnal tendancies makes photography difficult. He's mostly buttoned-up under the halides, opening up under the actinics and really getting rolling in the dark.

From what little I could find online, he has a lot in common with Tube Anemones -- except he is living in the rock rather than in the substrate like Tube Anemone normally do. The most distinctive characteristic is the 'compass' pattern on his oral disc. If you have any ideas who this guy is, let me know...

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mystery3.jpg

mystery4.jpg

Oh, no apologies necessary at all -- spotting previously un-spotted creatures is the best part! A few nights ago, my wife and I sat in the dark with only the red lights on in the tank for about an hour just looking for new critters.

Whoa, that's kind'a pathetic... my wife and I spend an hour together in the dark.. with a red light on.. and all we're doing is staring into an aquarium DOH!

A few nights ago' date=' my wife and I sat in the dark with only the red lights on in the tank for about an hour just looking for new critters.[/quote']

That's one of my favorite parts of the hobby, doing moonlight patrols to see what kind of critters come out that you don't normally see during the day. Usually I have my handy dandy magnifying glass in hand as well! What's pathetic is I do these missions solo, I don't have my loving spouse investigating with me! Consider yourself lucky! :D

Stacy