Seal 1LINK connection

Blue Z Reef

Wondering what I should do...the issue is I have a 200 gal water reservoir which is 6’ tall. I believe the cord on my ATK V2 pump is 5’. I have the 1LINK extension cord. Wondering the best way to water seal the connection as it will be submerged if the pump goes all the way to the bottom. Anyone know of anything like this but submersible?

Black CordSafe Extension Cord Safety Cover with Water-Resistant Seal for Cord Management https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HFXCRK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AcBuEbTQSGFNS

Everything I’ve see is water resistant but not submersible. 

I’m thinking of just using shrink tube and then coating it with silicon but seeing what everyone else has done.

The cord on the PMUP v1 and v2 is 6 feet long.  When you add in the height of the PMUP, it's 6'4".  Unless you plan to fill your storage tank to the brim, I don't think you'll need any extension.

Some people have cut the PMUP cord, spliced in an additional length of cord, then used glue and heat shrink wrap to seal the splice.

By the way, the PMUP uses a 2-pin Molex connector to the 24v accessory port, not the 4-pin 1Link cable. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

The cord on the PMUP v1 and v2 is 6 feet long.  When you add in the height of the PMUP, it's 6'4".  Unless you plan to fill your storage tank to the brim, I don't think you'll need any extension.

Some people have cut the PMUP cord, spliced in an additional length of cord, then used glue and heat shrink wrap to seal the splice.

By the way, the PMUP uses a 2-pin Molex connector to the 24v accessory port, not the 4-pin 1Link cable. 

I’ll have to double check, I’ve been waiting for it to top off my existing 55 gal barrel so haven’t pulled it yet, cord just seemed short. I guess I’ll just use the shrink wrap for good measure and call it good as it will likely be suspended out of the water.

Some double wall marine heat shrink would probably work as it has epoxy sealing, but no promises if it's reef safe.  Many epoxies contain BPA's and other horrible VOC's.  

If it was me, I'd likely cut both connectors off, solder it together, and use normal heat shrink and fill it with 100% silicone.  Let it tack up, hit it with a heat gun, wipe off the excess silicone and let it dry for 24-48 hours before putting in water.   This will give you a water proof, reef safe and flexible connection.  The other option is marine connectors like this: https://www.amazon.com/LanHong-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B01F54PFLE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=marine+connectors&qid=1582831966&sr=8-6

They work pretty well, but I am not sure i'd trust them long term submerged.  I have some that may work for your application if you want to pick some up.  Let me know if your interested.

• Like 1