Flooring below display tank -- recommendations?

SuncrestReef

I'm working out some of the details for my big home addition, and one of those details is what flooring material to use below my new display tank.  The surrounding room will have slate tiles, but I know they would crack under the weight.  What material would you recommend, and any styling ideas for the transition from that material to the slate tiles?

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.18.40 AM.png

image.png

I'd pick something simply like vinyl flooring.  And my transition would be hidden.   (eg, can't see it)   Make the tank stand come down to the floor, with tile right up to it.

Are you planning for an emergency drain below the tank?   You're elevated off the ground in that spot.  The drain "should" never get used.   I'd put some kind of drain in the floor, going straight outside, directly under the tank. (Okay, you'll probably have to plumb it in to pass permits)    And is there a way to design the bottom of the stand/Vinyl/etc to direct any overflow water towards that drain...

• Like 1

Properly installed slate tile is actually quite strong. Even if your stand had legs and not a solid bottom rail the PSI exerted on the slate would be around 50 psi max.

I pogo sticked on my slate floor and I weigh 200 lbs.

As a reference, my tank will weigh 6000 lbs with 8 double 2x4 legs. That's only 61 psi on each leg.

You will want to get a good sealer for the slate though, it is porous and that could lead to salt stains. I'm not sure about that part..but it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk