Should I buy an Apex?

xxkenny90xx

I'm not familiar with the apex system (or any controller other than my inkbird) but have been considering one for a while now. The main drawback for me is that I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION at home, so I'm guessing I'd miss out on a bunch of features. Also I'm computer illiterate. So what do you guys think? Also, anyone know what all I'd have to buy for it and what costs I'd be looking at? Thanks guys

If no internet, it may not be worth it.

A big part of the value of the apex are the alerts that tell you something is wrong. I suppose it would depend on how complex your system is.

It can do cool stuff like shut your UV off if the pump turns off, or shut an ATO of it running x minutes, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Even I, the avid Apex fan, will suggest no. 

While you can control and monitor the Apex without an Internet connection, it would only allow access from your home, and would still require home networking equipment (at a minimum a network switch and cables, or a wireless access point).  The biggest benefit of the Apex is for it to notify you when something is wrong and to be able to control it from far away.  It cannot send notifications without an Internet connection, although if you add a Display module, it does have an audible alarms.

• Like 1

Lol Pdx I was waiting for someone to ask that. The wife and I don't believe in extra bills (says the guy whose spent thousands on a fish tank). We don't pay for internet or cable or anything like that. Phones these days are so advanced I just don't see the need for additional internet. Our phone plan has unlimited data which we use to send a wifi direct signal to our TV to watch movies, and it also comes with some Hotspot data which she can use on her laptop for homework. Oh and we use an antenna to watch football. With that set up we can get by fine without internet (of course now it looks like my fish need wifi 😢). 

2 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Lol Pdx I was waiting for someone to ask that. The wife and I don't believe in extra bills (says the guy whose spent thousands on a fish tank).

Ok, you have to admit that is pretty funny!  It would be interesting if the "straw" that broke the camel's back proved to be connectivity for your fish 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...