Best way to remove a big anemone

Manny Tavan

If you can schedule it when you're home for the day, then aiming a powerhead at it may be a good choice.  Just keep checking on it every hour and eventually it should have moved the foot out into an accessible area before it makes it to your corals, then you can coax it off the rock with your fingertip.  Once they start to move, their grip on the rock is significantly reduced, making it possible to pry them off in under a minute.  If they have been stationary for weeks, it can take nearly an hour to get them to let go. 

As a last resort, I've heard that removing the rock from the water and suspending it upside down so the anemone is dangling into the surface of the water while its foot is out of the water will cause it to release fairly quickly.  Of course, this may be difficult if the rock is part of a complex aquascape.

• 1 month later...
Been trying to remove it since yesterday. Not happening. Took the rock out of the tank and I could get the foot to budge. Left one powerhead aimed at it overnight and it didn’t move. Time for a second powerhead
1B6909D7-C53D-43C3-B7DB-A4AC64E8574B.thumb.jpeg.52cf7541a0f0303c5b621c4fc33e9d1a.jpeg
1. Remove rock with anemone.
2. Give me rock with anemone.
3. Enjoy a cold one. You earned it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh Brian, I do so enjoy your sense of humor!  But I digress. You're not going to get an anemone to move unless you aggravate the piss out of it, and not only will it move but it will likely split. That's what I recommend. Poke it all day long while you're working from home this week/month/quarter/lifespan and it will not only break loose, but you'll have another one to sell too!

On 3/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, Bicyclebill said:

Oh Brian, I do so enjoy your sense of humor!  But I digress. You're not going to get an anemone to move unless you aggravate the piss out of it, and not only will it move but it will likely split. That's what I recommend. Poke it all day long while you're working from home this week/month/quarter/lifespan and it will not only break loose, but you'll have another one to sell too!

I’ll try that. Thanks