badxgillen

February Meeting at the New Premium Aquarium

It is time again to mark the 2020 calendar, we will be having a PNWMAS club meeting at the new Premium Aquarium store at the end of the month!

TPA New location pic 1.jpg

Not too long ago the TPA made a transition into a new building in south Salem that seems to be a great fit for their establishment, nice open spaces and rows and rows of coral and fish tanks, not to mention a wide selection of dry goods.

TPA new location pic 2.jpg

As usual the club will provide some food and beverages for those who attend as well as a raffle to partake in. I am also getting some confirmation on  a coral group buy in for a nice colony or two brought in by the TPA. Once we have more details on that we will post them up here so just stay tuned.

When - Saturday February 29th 1:PM

Where - The Premium Aquarium 4071 Liberty Rd S, Salem, Oregon 97302

What - Sales, Raffles, Food, Friends, and a coral group buy.

• Like 6

Looking forward to finally seeing this shop!  I'll be very interested in details on the group buy colony.

Excited to see the new shop!  It was great to see Garrett and the TPA crew at our holiday meeting in December so will be nice to follow up with a meeting in their new digs.  They always work hard to make us feel at home there when hosting.

I am still waiting to hear back from Garret at the TPA about what coral colonies he has in store for us but I do know that we will have a number of nice raffle prizes in store for the PNWMAS club such as...

MP10-VORTECH-QUIETDRIVE-WIRELESS-1000x1000__50638.1525356787.jpg

A brand new Echotech MP 10 propeller circulation pump to get your water flow in style. A very flexible and non intrusive way to keep that water moving in the reef tank.

JBJ ATO.jpg

A duel sensor automatic top off unit to help keep that salinity stable long term, and piece of mind when you are away from the tank for a period of time.

Fritz Salt Case.jpg

And something that everybody needs once in a while, a full case of some of the finer marine grade salts. I have been using the fritz for a little while now and I am pretty happy with it, here is a chance to give it a whirl.

We will have a few other items to add to this list of prizes including some certificates from some of our fine sponsors here at PNWMAS, we will post some more news on the meet soon so keep your eyes peeled.

• Like 2

I’ll be there. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome! Back in my hometown again. I am definitely interested in the group buy.

Garret just got back into the states from a trip to the Caribbean and said that he had two awesome Acan colonies set aside for us. I will see if I can get out there tomorrow so I can get them cut up.

20200223_151333.jpg

20200223_151312.jpg

• Like 2

Those are awesome Bert!  Guess you won’t know till you frag them what we are looking at for numbers. 

Can't believe this is coming up this Saturday already!  Really looking forward to seeing the new store and hopefully getting pieces of those lovely acans!  As per usual, there will be food raffles and lots of scintillating conversation - oh yeah, and some awesome livestock as well if prior visits to TPA are anything to go by.  Hope to see a lot of you there.

• Like 1

So it is looking like there will be a 9 spot buy in on each of these acans, at $20.00 each for 2+polyp frags.

AND, to make things interesting,  we plan on starting a grow out contest for those who get a chance to snag a frag of these bad boys.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, badxgillen said:

So it is looking like there will be a 9 spot buy in on each of these acans, at $20.00 each for 2+polyp frags.

AND, to make things interesting,  we plan on starting a grow out contest for those who get a chance to snag a frag of these bad boys.

Hey Bert - I would like one of each please - not sure if you wanted to start that in the thread or not but just in case...

1 hour ago, badxgillen said:

Will it be first come first serve on these, or can we reserve one on the forum? If we can reserve one ahead of time, I'd like to put my name down for one of these.

20200223_151333.thumb.jpg.b430a6c63a68e622f03358e09f4f831d.jpg

Okay so we have...

AlbertaReef for Acan A and B,

Optimus Prime for Acan A and B,

BigDan for Acan A and B,

Duck Head for Acan A,

Badxgillen for Acan A and B,

ReefSoup for Acan B,

Bear for Acan B,

Coral reef Tankers for Acan A,

Snappy for Acan A,

Exodus for Acan A and B,

Deuce for Acan B,

Tandor69 for Acan B,

Leaving 1 of Acan A and 0 frags of Acan B. If we get more bites I will relinquish one of the cuts I reserved so someone else can participate.

• Like 1

Garrett has always had an eye for nice acans so I'm sure these will be impressive in person.  Thanks for fragging them Bert!  If you hadn't decided on whether or not to come on out, this make for a nice incentive (while they last) 😁

No love for acan B?  I think the contrast with the green centers is pretty cool. 

I’m in for 1 of whatever is left. Look forward checking out new shop. Dustin 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your Premium Aquarium Acan Grow Out entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins March 20th!You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!
      For those of you who grabbed more than one of the Acan varieties offered we request that you choose one, either Acan A or Acan B. Also these were fresh relatively fresh cuts so new polyp growth will be slow. And if anyone has an issue with their frag before the first deadline let me know and I will see what I can do within reason.
      Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.
      Rules and Guidelines for The TPA Acan Grow Out Competition. 
      1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in this competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.
      2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start March 20th. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 20th and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified. 
      3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions.
      4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon. You cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.
      5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with. No hiding polyps in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for       the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be July 20th 2020 for the winner. 
      Judging a winner: Should be pretty straight forward this grow out. The most polyps gained after the initial count at the end wins.
      But the Grand Prize is... Not going to spoil it yet, you have to play our little game here.
      Our Standing List of Fine PNWMAS Contestants are...
      Badxgillen,
      DuckHead,
      CoralReefTankers,
      Snappy,
      Tandor69,
      Obrien,

• By badxgillen
      Well folks, it is getting closer to the end of the 2019 year and you know what that means for the PNWMAS club don't you!?
      The December Holiday Party!!!
      Where - Walery's Premium Pizza 1555 Edgewater St NW, Salem, OR 97304
      When - December 14th Saturday from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM. 
      What - Meet and Greet, Gift Exchange, Raffle, Food, and Fun!
      As usual, the club will order a few pizzas and pitchers to get the festivities started off with, but with the counter to the pizzeria just 15 feet away you should be able to get whatever you need conveniently. Being a pizza fan I like finding what a friend likes and going in on a pizza to share, variety is the spice of life right?
      And for those who are new to the annual event know that we will have a White elephant gift exchange to get in on! To participate we recommend bringing a wrapped item someone might appreciate of a $10-$15 value. We will draw numbers to dictate the order of handing out the gifts, and allow for one optional "theft" of a previous opened present per person. If you have not participated in a white elephant gift exchange before, this may all sound funny, but I assure you it is a riot of a game where everybody has a good time and walks away with something to remember.
      In addition to the gift exchange and all around festivities we will have some amazing prizes from our awesome sponsors and our PNWMAS club, you know we never disappoint. So make sure to grab some extra raffle tickets and win it big!
      Stay tuned for more updates and additions to the raffle prize roster, you all know the PNWMAS December party is always a Hoot!
    • By badxgillen
      Well Folks, it seems to be an end to the summer and the beginning of fall, September is here! And it looks like we have lined up one last meeting before the end of the year's December gathering, and right before the Annual October Frag Festival. 
      And Great News!

We will be having the September meeting at the Seahorse Aquarium Supply in Portland.
      When?: September 22nd Sunday 1:00 - 4:00
      Where?: 106 NE Russet St, Portland, OR 97211
      What?: A gathering of your favorite PNWMAS people at a long time sponsors establishment, including food, raffles, and great deals on some very nice livestock.

So come on out and hang out with some of your fellow club members, see whats been brewing at the Seahorse Aquarium, and maybe get the skinny on the upcoming North West Frag Festival.

• By badxgillen
      For our August meeting, we’re doing something a little different.  @SuncrestReef, our resident Apex guru and newest board member, is opening up his house for a tour of his highly automated reef tank and a backyard BBQ.
      This will be chance to see some cool high-tech gear in action:  Automated water changes, automated skimmer neck cleaner and smart skimmate locker, emergency backup battery power and generator, and of course the Trident!  As an added bonus, @danlu_gt will present a demo of his amazing ReeFi DUO LED light fixtures, with a side-by-side comparison against SuncrestReef’s Radion XR30 Pro.
      As always there will be some cool raffle prizes, and tasty food.
      When:  Saturday, August 24 at 1:00pm - 4:00pm
      Where:  19194 SW Suncrest Lane, Beaverton, OR 97007     View on map
      Parking:  Driveway and on-street parking

There’s only one rule:  Cooper, the overly-friendly black lab, is on a very strict diet due to food allergies.  Please don’t feed Cooper anything, no matter how much he acts like he’s starving.  He’s had enough emergency vet visits and doesn’t need another one.

• By badxgillen
      Where does the time go? It is February already, and that means there is another upcoming PNWMAS meet. This time we have something special for you, our comedic and ingenuitive member PDXMonkeyboy has been gracious enough to host a full blown frag swap at his home in Portland Oregon! In addition to the free for all coral exchanging we will have a tank onsite to float frags and a coral sale to benefit the Tanks For Teachers program.
      This means there will be corals of all sorts, from all over, at one place! for trade, for sale, and even maybe just for free if you get that winning raffle ticket. This also means you all might want to get ready for the event by seeing what you may have to offer up and what you may be looking for to fill that empty spot in your home aquarium. I will post up one of those ever so popular Frag Trading threads here
      http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/44400-frag-swap-thread-february-2019/
      so we can keep this thread to our regular banter and various updates as they come through.
      When- February 24th 1:00 PM.
      Where-
      Parking:  There is a long looping driveway and a parking area next to the house.  You can park in the street or anywhere in the driveway.  There will likely just be shuffling when its time to go.
      Our PNWMAS club will provide some refreshments and some delectable local pizza for those who attend.  

So get those frag racks out and filled up then stay tuned, this is gonna be a good one!