The new 40 gallon breeder

Dakotapi3rc3

Hi all.

Sharing what I've been up to. I have seemingly outgrown my 29g and decided on picking up a 40b. This is a budget build and i want to do it right so i made sure this one had a sump.

Being a rookie i broke the first 40b drilling it out. Now my second one was drilled low for my new overflow box. So the obvious solution instead of buying another tank to destroy is to block part of the grate to raise the water level and still have it pull.

The 29g is a mixed reef with black box light and hang on skimmer. I took a chance on a 300w mars aqua on this new tank seeing my last chinese light worked great and were growing SPS (albeit the easier varieties consisting of pocillipora. Montis, and leptos) . I learned a lot with the smaller aquarium with many successes and equal amount of failures. I look forward to having the bigger footprint for aquascaping and the sump to hide all those ugly hang on back items.

Message_1580082454037.jpg

Message_1579983855886.jpg

20200119_120014.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, it was nice meeting you and seeing your tank today.  It's come a long way since the photos you posted above.  You should post some current photos to show off because it really looks great!

The peppermint shrimp are settling in to their new home in my tank.  Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Seeing good growth from all my corals. Finally got the doser setup which is nice. Who would of thought these suckers need almost 30ML a day. My acros are kind of browning out and my Monti cap is a much lighter pink than when I got it. Maybe cheap salt? Anyway I've started the red sea trace elements dosing program now, we'll see how that goes.

On another note, I'm not sure my tank can take any more $10 frag sales.

IMG_20200614_175504.jpg

IMG_20200614_175509.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Alright. A lot of changes, survived dinos and a huge alk swing with most things in tact. It appears I now have the acropora bug and want to collect sticks, coral growth is great and selling frags has funded a lot of purchases, my anemones know no bounds and neither does my kenya tree or GSP.

I would say everything has tripled in size including my acropora. Lots of new, some old stuff perished but it's no big deal, part of learning. Coming up on a year in this tank after moving out of my 2 year old 29g.

IMG_20201220_100849.jpg

IMG_20201219_114657.jpg

IMG_20201219_114700.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Looking Great!  Is that a blue spot leopard wrasse?  any regrets, its on my future fish list

Full disclosure I had 3 before this and they all died within 2 weeks despite perfect drip acclimation and parameters. Both male and female types, this guy was actually from a tank breakdown and was out and about eating in the second day. I've had him almost a week now and he is active and very happy, still acclimating to my lighting schedule.

IMG_20201220_114521.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well guys another bout of Dinos plagued the tank and I am finally over them. It didn't go without a fight. Lost my phoenix monti, jack o lantern lepto, and purple stylo. Little bit of burnt tips on a couple acros but otherwise it seems like dinos are completely iradicated. Current issue is GHA and bryopsis which has been choking corals and proven to be quit stubborn. On week 3 of vibrant and mag is 1700 ppm in hopes of eliminating bryopsis. Pretty much at a loss for GHA, parameters read well within normal ranges so the start of h2o2 dosing has taken place.

Current status: Ugly

IMG_20210402_173045.jpg

IMG_20210402_173049.jpg

IMG_20210402_173054.jpg

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Dakotapi3rc3 said:

Well guys another bout of Dinos plagued the tank and I am finally over them. It didn't go without a fight. Lost my phoenix monti, jack o lantern lepto, and purple stylo. Little bit of burnt tips on a couple acros but otherwise it seems like dinos are completely iradicated. Current issue is GHA and bryopsis which has been choking corals and proven to be quit stubborn. On week 3 of vibrant and mag is 1700 ppm in hopes of eliminating bryopsis. Pretty much at a loss for GHA, parameters read well within normal ranges so the start of h2o2 dosing has taken place.

Current status: Ugly

IMG_20210402_173045.jpg

IMG_20210402_173049.jpg

IMG_20210402_173054.jpg

Dinos  are frustrating. How did you get rid of it ?