Stumbled upon the original Herbie overflow post

Higher Thinking

Scrolling through RC and the original post by Herbie was bumped to the top. I had never actually seen that. It's from 2004. It was really interesting to read a bunch of the comments from people. Several people shooting down his ideas and just telling him to use a Durso because if he does it right, then it's "nearly" silent. Even some people saying that without allowing air into the pipe, the water won't fall fast enough and that the air from the Durso increases the amount of water flow.

I only read the first couple pages, but it was pretty interesting. The one takeaway I had from it was that whenever something new comes along, there will always be haters. You could come up with the greatest thing, but people will always complain and try to stifle your progress. The basics of the Herbie overflow are now the foundation of the reef overflow hobby. There is of course, the Bean Animal, but that's just a Herbie for people who like buying and gluing more PVC [emoji6][emoji6]

At any rate, it's crazy how how much has changed in this hobby and also how much has stayed the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The aquarium facebook groups are a train wreck...

I used to try and help and then would get drown out by all this bad advice. It is funny though how people get an idea in there head and just cant seem to get it out.

It's just funny. Like people that avoid MH because they are "soo expensive to run" and then put an equivalent wattage of LEDs over their tank.

Anyways.. air bubbles speeding up flow.. that is classic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The aquarium facebook groups are a train wreck...

I used to try and help and then would get drown out by all this bad advice. It is funny though how people get an idea in there head and just cant seem to get it out.

It's just funny. Like people that avoid MH because they are "soo expensive to run" and then put an equivalent wattage of LEDs over their tank.

Anyways.. air bubbles speeding up flow.. that is classic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah for sure. I know I've been guilty of preferring the "familiar" over branching out to something new, but some of the comments on this thread were pretty amusing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk