HUGE NEWS!!!

SuncrestReef

One year ago I posted a thread about planning an addition on our house including a fish room and larger new aquarium:

It's been a long negotiation process, but I finally convinced my wife to agree to this project!  I have made several revisions to my original plans, but here's the latest design.  The addition will add a large 35'x20' room (700 sq feet) onto the back of the house with a large triangular multi-level deck, a built-in BBQ, and a hot tub.  Inside the addition will be a 6-seat bar, a full 9' pool table, a half bathroom, a dedicated fish room, and a 8'x3' 360 gallon display tank!  The fish room will be roughly 70 sq feet.

I need to finalize a few design details, then contract with a builder.  I have no idea on the timeframe for construction yet, but I hope to have things in place for the next summer BBQ party!

Here are some renderings:

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.38.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.36.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.36.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.46.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.35.55 PM.png

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Whoa... that is going to sweet!  Not sure I would let a bunch of rambunctious fish geeks in there once it done 😁  Good luck on the execution phase... will no doubt be exciting.  Any plans for who will build the tank?

I'll probably look into Custom Aquariums since @Higher Thinking recently got his and it's the same dimensions I want.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GreenJeans said:

Wow! I'm sure your guests will be blown away!

What'd you use to generate the floor plan and renders?

I use Home Designer Pro, by Chief Architect:  https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-pro/

It's pretty impressive software.  I reproduced my entire house all the way down to the doorknobs, trim moldings, and tile textures.  Did I need to do that?  No.  🤓

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GreenJeans said:

lol, that software is $500...there's gotta be something free that does a passable job...

Here's a list of a few free options:  https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/renovate/design/a28461218/best-free-home-interior-design-tools-apps-software/

I originally rented Home Designer Pro for a month at $49.  After using it for several weeks, I liked it so much that I ended up purchasing it when it was on sale for $250, and they gave me credit for the rental fee on the purchase.

• Like 1

I made a few changes to improve the fish room position so it's now directly behind the tank.  

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.14.30 PM.png

For those of you wondering why I didn't choose an in-wall aquarium, the reason I settled on my current design was due to negotiations with my wife.  Since this is going to be a very expensive project, she is concerned about the resale value of the house and return on investment.  After consulting with our realtor we decided to have the aquarium free standing so it could be removed easily without requiring major reconstruction.  The small bathroom was also a requirement which is why I reduced the original size of the fish room. 

Beyond the overall architecture, I haven't yet started the official design process of the fish room.  I'm going to leave my mixing station in the garage and run plumbing through the attic into the new fish room for auto water changes and ATO.  I also plan to have the sump in the fish room rather than under the tank, along with a frag tank, utility sink, storage cabinets, and a desk for my microscope and where I can do water tests.  Of course it will have a floor drain, mildew-resistant drywall, and maybe a dehumidifier.  I'll reach out for input once I have a basic plan for the fish room equipment.

Here's a walkthrough video:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Here's a list of a few free options:  https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/renovate/design/a28461218/best-free-home-interior-design-tools-apps-software/

I originally rented Home Designer Pro for a month at $49.  After using it for several weeks, I liked it so much that I ended up purchasing it when it was on sale for $250, and they gave me credit for the rental fee on the purchase.

Pretty cool but for that much, I expected animated fishes in the tank.  😉

• Haha 1

Super cool video... I would add a wrinkle.. have you thought of putting the tank where the TV in the bar is?

Right now the tank is in the hallway. No place to.sit and state at the tank. I had a tank in a place like that and never really got to.enjoy it.

In terms of tearing an in wall tank out and repairing what was done. That would literally take 4 2x4, a sheet of drywall and some paint.

Seriosuly...don't let that influence your design.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Right now the tank is in the hallway. No place to.sit and state at the tank

I was curious about this myself.  It's true that there are lots of views of the tank from adjoining rooms so it will certainly be noticeable but the premier front on angle is pretty much only available standing in the hallway.  Of course, I know you will still take full advantage 😁 but somewhat limiting for "casual" viewing.  Not that I have a better suggestion...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Super cool video... I would add a wrinkle.. have you thought of putting the tank where the TV in the bar is?

Right now the tank is in the hallway. No place to.sit and state at the tank. I had a tank in a place like that and never really got to.enjoy it.

In terms of tearing an in wall tank out and repairing what was done. That would literally take 4 2x4, a sheet of drywall and some paint.

Seriosuly...don't let that influence your design.

43 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I was curious about this myself.  It's true that there are lots of views of the tank from adjoining rooms so it will certainly be noticeable but the premier front on angle is pretty much only available standing in the hallway.  Of course, I know you will still take full advantage 😁 but somewhat limiting for "casual" viewing.  Not that I have a better suggestion...

30 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

Seeing the video just reinforces the idea that the fishtank should be where the pool table is. With the same foot print :)

Thanks to everyone for the comments and opinions.

We spend the majority of our time at home in the living room and/or at the round table just off the kitchen.  The new bar will only be used primarily when entertaining guests, so placing the tank there would be in the place it will least often be seen.  We never just sit on the couch across from our current tank.  I like up-close views so I spend tons of time standing right in front of it and looking very closely at everything, or using my camera to shoot macro photos.  During the day I spend a lot of time on my laptop sitting at the round table, so from there I'll have a great view of the left side and an angled view of the front, and since it will be 3' on the end that's still a pretty good view.

As for repairing after removing an in-wall tank, keep in mind my wife's concern is if something happens to me, then the whole process is on her to resolve.  By having a free-standing tank, that's less stress on her.  It took a year to get her to buy in to this plan...I'm not about to re-open that can of worms now that I have approval to move forward.

• Like 2