Fishroom Remodel Has Begun!

obrien.david.j

It's been a while since the last update and it's been a busy time.
  1. Dino's broke out in the frag tank (but not much in the connected display tank).   Been fighting these.
  2. I made a mistake, spiked the Alk to 14, and all corals reacted badly.   Lost a number of colonies.  (Alk normally runs 10)
  3. I bought a new Display Tank, picked it up last night!
    • Update on my suction cup thread.  Bought two, borrowed four.  Planned to bring six people, ended up bringing eight.  Needed them ALL.
Thank you @Kshack for sharing this beautiful tank.  He and his wife are gracious hosts and helped every step of the way.  Check out Ken's thread selling the rest of his equipment.  
Tank is 68" long, 36" front to back, and 24" Tall.  ~250 gallons,  Peninsula overflow location, which is what I need.
[/url]  
Tank in original location
IMG_7097.thumb.jpg.880609d4215091b67eda095dad585313.jpg

Prepping for the tank move.   Have to lift the tank, rotate 90 degrees to fit through the door.  Carry down the outside stairs.   All Covid Masked-up.
IMG_7790.thumb.JPG.368c93d7dd3eaf991a11ed54192685c0.JPG

Back the trailer downhill through the back yard.  Tank was on lower level, daylight basement.
IMG_7794.thumb.JPG.b8f56528a914a4b2ebfe0ae077dd8d70.JPG

Crate for transporting the tank, with sides removed.  Plan was carry the tank out of the house, put on crate bottom, rebuild crate.  Carry the crate to the trailer.
IMG_7793.thumb.JPG.0e99b5425c88dfe2797d4d84bc93d0d6.JPG

The Crew!  Getting tank out of the house was stressful lifting, HEAVY.  Crated up.  (Covid masks are not comfortable when grunting, groaning, and sweating.)
IMG_7798.thumb.JPG.381cae5951790c071d68477d7ab238b8.JPG

Tank unloaded into my garage.   Time to finalize measurements for stand design, and get that started. 
IMG_7786.thumb.jpg.97c2bd5e5458a1654cf5cca4b941b395.jpg

Good to see you got yourself a new tank! How much depth did you gain? 12"?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

New Tank is 68" long, 36" front to back, and 25" Tall (was 24", but took new measurement - found an inch).  ~250 gallons.

Old Tank is 48" long, 22" front to back, and 23.5" Tall. ~110 gallons

So gain is ~1.5ft in length and ~1ft front to back.

New Tank is 68" long, 36" front to back, and 25" Tall (was 24", but took new measurement - found an inch).  ~250 gallons.
Old Tank is 48" long, 22" front to back, and 23.5" Tall. ~110 gallons
So gain is ~1.5ft in length and ~1ft front to back.
Nice! I thought your tank area couldn't allow any additional length? Wasn't it between the fireplace or something? Either way, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

Nice! I thought your tank area couldn't allow any additional length? Wasn't it between the fireplace or something? Either way, congrats!

What a memory!   I'm rotating the tank 90 degrees.  It's not the first choice, but better than removing the fireplace.    I think the 36" end will still make it look nice in the room.

• Like 1

While I was working (from home) this morning, the Rock Fairy paid me a visit.  Look what showed up outside to support the new tank build.  They're much better than my rock archives.  These are clearly going in the tank. 

Tonight they'll get a scrub, and then a bleach water soak.   These have been outside.  Little bit of Dirt and stuff - nothing Bleach can't handle.

Thanks Steve!

IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

One 50 gallon barrel, two bottles of bleach, one power head, and a bunch of rock!

The goal is to dissolve latent organics on the rock, especially a bit of dirt from being stored outside for multiple years.   What's group think - one week, two weeks, three weeks?

IMG_7872.jpg

I would do two or three weeks. I did one week in a ten-to-one bleach soak and wished after that  I had done at least another week.

3 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

I would do two or three weeks. I did one week in a ten-to-one bleach soak and wished after that  I had done at least another week.

You're bringing up a good point, two gallons of bleach in ~40 gallons of water - Not enough.   I think I'll try and top off with fresh bleach, multiple times.   thanks for the inputs

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

belt sander and 40 grit paper is your friend for flattening rock.  Looking good though!

You're reading my mind.   Let some other equipment do the work.

52 minutes ago, spectra said:

Depending on the rock I soaked Pukani in vinegar for 2 days and it took a good amount off the rock.....

Makes sense.

I did muriatic and bleach on my last batch but its been a few years.  Looks like BRS confirmed its the best...  See the chart at the end... FWIW

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/how-to-cure-live-rock-with-acid-for-a-saltwater-aquarium-reef-faqs/#:~:text=Based on our experiments%2C we,every 15 pounds of rock.&text=Step %235- Wait 15 minutes,dissolving more of the rock.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheClark said:

That chart definitely explains why I had such high phosphates the first several months after I started my tank since I did not use any bleach or acid.  I managed to reduce phosphates over time with GFO and eventually with just basic skimming and water changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I just use acid.. because it is kind of dangerous, and therefore fun.  Bleach is never fun.  Melting things with acid... yeah baby! 

This is your brain.  This is your brain on acid...🤣

(maybe just substitute the word "brain" with "Brian" and it makes more sense)

EDIT: Sorry @obrien.david.j for hijacking your thread with random sophomorish humor...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Don't be careful.  And remember, always add water to acid not the other way around.  Or maybe it is add acid to water?  

Bottom line, if you didn't pay attention in school then you deserve a little flesh burning.  

NO NO NO - And remember, always add water to acid

ALWAYS pour the acid INTO the water.   (Add Acid TO water)

[Edit} - I love Sarcasm, but not on this topic.

Edited by obrien.david.j

The Overflow has been tested.    Directed dual overflows into 5 gallon bucket with big Eheim pump in it to see the water flow in action.  Ken had this nice black plexi plate in the overflow box to increase the water level.  Great design, it's needed.   Looks like water surface will be ~7/8" from bottom of eurobrace on the sides, and ~5/8" from bottom of eurobrace on the short viewing end.   (Double braced there)

IMG_7934.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg