Fishroom Remodel Has Begun!

obrien.david.j

I'm lucky enough our house has a natural equipment room attached to the garage, on the opposite wall where my tank is.    I've been planning some additions, and thanks some good deals from Brian at the Reef Box It's time.  

Projects

• New mixing station.  Replace my 2 50gal blue poly barrels with 2 75 gal @SuncrestReeflike setup.   (in the nook to the left, at far end of the room)
  • Dedicated larger frag tanks (the rest of the room)

Yesterday the remodels began with three steps.   

1. Remove everything
  2. Wash walls and kill some mildew
  3. Patch holes and get ready to paint

THE "Before" pictures

IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

Removed, not Washed 

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

Eventual Mixing Station Nook

IMG_4820.jpg

Washed and Patched - ready to Paint

IMG_4849.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

6 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

You would be crazy not to install FRP panels at the mixing station to protect the drywall

What's an FRP panel?    Before installing the sump and overflows (left side, in blue) I siliconed 1/8" acrylic to the walls to act as a longer term splash barrier.   Still working well after ~20 yrs of running.

Update on Today's results, 1st coat of paint Done.  I'm using a water based epoxy in basic/untinted bright white on the whole room.  Very low VOCs.  Yes, I can smell it but the room smelled much stronger after either the vinegar or bleach applications to remove mildew.

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

• Like 1

They make corners and trim for the crap as well.   I’d suggest to go to Knez if your entertaining the Idea...They will get you all squared away. 
HD you’ll be there for 3 days and still be lost. 😂 

If you need a hand...I could help you get started. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

@obrien.david.j How many square feet of space will this fish room give you?

Fish room is 14' x 5', plus two 4'x2.5' notches.  (one, where existing equip lives in photos.   Other, where mixing station goes in photos)   Approx 90 sqft total.

10 hours ago, Flash21 said:

They make corners and trim for the crap as well.   I’d suggest to go to Knez if your entertaining the Idea...They will get you all squared away. 
HD you’ll be there for 3 days and still be lost. 😂 

If you need a hand...I could help you get started. 

Thanks for the info and offers.   I'll let you know if I need the help.

• Like 1

And let the mixing station design begin.   Following @SuncrestReef lead on general plumbing design, but first modification is the pump doesn't fit perfectly between the containers.  So they'll be raised by a 2x4 off the future platform and let the pump sit slightly below.

(No, the mixing station doesn't sit on the floor.  This was just a width test.   Station will sit on a platform high enough to store 5gal buckets, fresh salt, and step stool below.)

Time to order some plumbing, and build a platform while waiting for it to arrive.

IMG_4879.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

And let the mixing station design begin.   Following @SuncrestReef lead on general plumbing design, but first modification is the pump doesn't fit perfectly between the containers.  So they'll be raised by a 2x4 off the future platform and let the pump sit slightly below.

(No, the mixing station doesn't sit on the floor.  This was just a width test.   Station will sit on a platform high enough to store 5gal buckets, fresh salt, and step stool below.)

Time to order some plumbing, and build a platform while waiting for it to arrive.

IMG_4879.jpg

The white on white gallon labels are hard to see, but a simple touch-up with a permanent marker will make a big difference!

Update:

• Plumbing ordered last night.   Used three different businesses.
  • Tank stand built today.   Ready for sealing.

Mock up support heights.  Want to fit 5 gallon buckets, step stool, and 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers. 

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Doubled up center support, where bulk of weight will be.   platform supported on right and left side by 2x4 legs.

IMG_4911.jpg

Attached 3/4" ply as surface, and 2x8 front board to hide the edges and create a "spill lip"    Whole platform will be calked and have a leak sensor.   If you could zoom in enough, you'd find stainless screws every 6" along all three spans.  Screws are my friend.

IMG_4913.jpg

And Finished (unpainted) results!

IMG_4915.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great!  I still regret using that metal Husky shelf system from Home Depot that began to buckle under the weight of the water tanks.  I put "temporary" wood supports under them 2 years ago and they're still supporting it today.  The next build will be done right, like yours.

Yes, PVCFittingsOnline is a great resource.  Glad you found what you needed.

Update:
  • Plumbing ordered last night.   Used three different businesses.
  • Tank stand built today.   Ready for sealing.
Mock up support heights.  Want to fit 5 gallon buckets, step stool, and 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers. 
IMG_4906.thumb.jpg.c1fade92ed0f3d87b305fce0fea5b40b.jpg
IMG_4907.thumb.jpg.ae3999d8828aaa09ea320ddb3b998ac6.jpg
Doubled up center support, where bulk of weight will be.   platform supported on right and left side by 2x4 legs.
IMG_4911.thumb.jpg.2b7b50ca0a5a5b972addc7c74e552566.jpg

Attached 3/4" ply as surface, and 2x8 front board to hide the edges and create a "spill lip"    Whole platform will be calked and have a leak sensor.   If you could zoom in enough, you'd find stainless screws every 6" along all three spans.  Screws are my friend.
IMG_4913.thumb.jpg.dce326f8dfcb1602e78d2e3ee1442cc6.jpg

And Finished (unpainted) results!
IMG_4915.thumb.jpg.73f1353d6089529a370abffab2915866.jpg
That's looking great! All the painting turned out excellent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

Hey David the only thing I would add for added longevity is to paint or seal the platform the barrels sit on. You will be amazed how much water end up on them 

10 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Exactly what brian said. I always question using latex paint because water will get through the paint, soak the wood, and the latex paint will let go.

No Worries my friends.  The next step is sanding/sealing/painting with the same epoxy paint used on the walls.  (multi coats)

In addition, I'm planning to seal the edge of the shelf and put a natural drain hole towards the front.   If there's a leak,  or When there's a leak, I'd rather have the water directed towards a natural single outflow point and an obvious "Something is Wrong" spot.  

• Like 4

Tonight's update, Changed directions.   Decided Not to paint the platform.  I got thinking of all the comments on FRP and I decided to line the platform with it.   One Wrinkle, HomeDepot was Out of FRP.  But they had this equally good (for this application) PolyWall sheet.  4x8 sheet, about 1/16"+ thick, easy to cut with utility knife, used an FRP adhesive to attach to platform.   Also created 2" lip up the walls, and sealed with silicon.   Now I have a slightly water friendly pan to help leaks.

PolyWall panel:

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

Applied to the Platform, and the 2" lip all the way around (and getting ready to paint)

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

Final Painted product.  Same Epoxy paint as the walls.

IMG_4939.jpg

• Like 2