Aquabus or USB

Trailermann

Are you asking about a cable?  If so, AquaBus cables are USB cables.  The difference between AquaBus and USB is not the cable, it's the devices you plug them into.  The Apex and all Apex modules run on 12v.  Computers, hard drives, and any other USB device runs on 5v.  That's the reason they tell you to never plug a USB device into an Apex AquaBus port, because the 12v will fry the USB device.

But the cables themselves are interchangable, as long as the cable does not have a USB "repeater" built in which you may sometimes find on really long cables to boost the signal.

I couldn't find my source for this information (I think it's on the neptune site) - but Apex cables are NOT interchangeable with regular USB cables.   (I think it's about impedance or resistance).

And my source pointed me to this company for Apex built long USB cables.

https://www.usbfirewire.com/search.aspx?searchterm=apex

Long USB Cable for Apex

Long USB Cable for Apex Controllers
These are pre-built custom USB cables specifically made for use with Apex Aquarium controllers. We get many requests to build these special cables, so we've decided to build a few to keep in stock. *These are guaranteed to work with your Apex Aquarium controller.* They're an A Male to A Male, and as you can see, we have them available in very long distances, and each of them will work with your setup. We use dual ferrite beads on each one to help ensure that the connection isn't interrupted.

Not for PC use
Please note that these are made only for Apex Aquarium controllers. These specific cables will not work with any series of USB. If you do need a long USB cable for your PC, please check out our USB 2.0 repeaters and repeater cables. Many are in stock and available to ship today. Call us today if you have any questions.

23 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I couldn't find my source for this information (I think it's on the neptune site) - but Apex cables are NOT interchangeable with regular USB cables.   (I think it's about impedance or resistance).

And my source pointed me to this company for Apex built long USB cables.

https://www.usbfirewire.com/search.aspx?searchterm=apex

Long USB Cable for Apex

Long USB Cable for Apex Controllers
These are pre-built custom USB cables specifically made for use with Apex Aquarium controllers. We get many requests to build these special cables, so we've decided to build a few to keep in stock. *These are guaranteed to work with your Apex Aquarium controller.* They're an A Male to A Male, and as you can see, we have them available in very long distances, and each of them will work with your setup. We use dual ferrite beads on each one to help ensure that the connection isn't interrupted.

Not for PC use
Please note that these are made only for Apex Aquarium controllers. These specific cables will not work with any series of USB. If you do need a long USB cable for your PC, please check out our USB 2.0 repeaters and repeater cables. Many are in stock and available to ship today. Call us today if you have any questions.

This is incorrect.  My entire Apex environment is running on standard USB 2.0 cables, ranging from 1 foot to 30 feet in length.

The reason USB FireWire says they're built specifically for Apex is because they don't have any repeaters built into the cable.  For USB 2.0 devices running on 5v to work beyond 5 meters (16'5") you need a repeater.  Since the Apex is sending 12v through the cable, it can be up to 200 feet long without a repeater.  

7 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Perfect.   So how can a normal user tell if a USB cable is 2.0, and specifically without a repeater?

Whether it's USB 2.0 or 3.0 won't make any difference and both will work with the Apex.  As long as it has the USB male connector on each end.

You can tell if it has a repeater if it has a large block on the end of the cable or in the middle of the cable:

A2CE_131315498686894109YEia8TsGT9.jpg