Automated calcium reactor

Manny Tavan

I am thinking about making the plunge into the calcium reactor world. I am leaning towards a automated system like the deltec twin-tec vs Dastaco vs Aquarium ENG ACR

The ACR seems to have the simplest design and is the least expensive option. It's also made in the USA. Is there anyone local using one of the ACR?

https://www.aquariumeng.com/products/calcium-reactors/6-stacked-auto-ca-reactor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1QOpmFxt0

6_in_stacked_auto_ca_reactor.jpg

auto_ca_reactor_valve_module_and_timer_0.jpg

Edited by Manny Tavan

Interesting.  A bit hard to tell from the limited info they provide but looks like the hardware is basically a solenoid controller on the CO2 line that is adjusting the "on" and "off" time to achieve pH changes in the chamber combined with some sort of (peristaltic?) control (set rate?) on the effluent. Guessing it also has some sort of limiter on the Co2 pressure to get the overall delivery rate reasonable (if not achieved via a traditional regulator).   If I am reading this correctly you could basically reproduce this with a standard regulator with solenoid, a peristaltic pump, and a bit of plug coding on your Apex (to set CO2 on/off times).  Curious if anyone does have experience with these as I don't necessarily see their inherent advantage other than keeping everything in "one box" so to speak.  Not clear that there is any sort of feedback control on the system either (i.e. isn't adjusting to hold any particular set point).  Also, if one did want to add the advantages of pH monitoring/control they would need other components to do so.  

I do see how reactors can be frustrating given that you can potentially exercise multiple points of control which all interact with one another - hence making it frustrating for someone trying to get it dialed in - but once you understand the relationships of CO2/pH/flow to effective alk it's pretty straightforward.  That said, accurate effluent flow control is hard to to achieve without either a decent peristaltic pump or going to high flow rate/high pH combinations.  Guessing there is maybe something else going on with this that isn't apparent at first glance?

Definitely has a price premium attached to it!

3 hours ago, albertareef said:

Interesting.  A bit hard to tell from the limited info they provide but looks like the hardware is basically a solenoid controller on the CO2 line that is adjusting the "on" and "off" time to achieve pH changes in the chamber combined with some sort of (peristaltic?) control (set rate?) on the effluent. Guessing it also has some sort of limiter on the Co2 pressure to get the overall delivery rate reasonable (if not achieved via a traditional regulator).   If I am reading this correctly you could basically reproduce this with a standard regulator with solenoid, a peristaltic pump, and a bit of plug coding on your Apex (to set CO2 on/off times).  Curious if anyone does have experience with these as I don't necessarily see their inherent advantage other than keeping everything in "one box" so to speak.  Not clear that there is any sort of feedback control on the system either (i.e. isn't adjusting to hold any particular set point).  Also, if one did want to add the advantages of pH monitoring/control they would need other components to do so.  

I do see how reactors can be frustrating given that you can potentially exercise multiple points of control which all interact with one another - hence making it frustrating for someone trying to get it dialed in - but once you understand the relationships of CO2/pH/flow to effective alk it's pretty straightforward.  That said, accurate effluent flow control is hard to to achieve without either a decent peristaltic pump or going to high flow rate/high pH combinations.  Guessing there is maybe something else going on with this that isn't apparent at first glance?

Definitely has a price premium attached to it!

I believe the Co2 supply is constant using a regulator. There is a float valve that detects when there isn't enough CO2 in the mix. the pH is not monitored at all. The only thing that gets adjusted is the number of seconds when the effluent gets added to the tank. 2 seconds every 200 seconds is the starting amount and you go up from there. From what I've read the DKH of the effluent is 50-60. 

Edited by Manny Tavan

1 hour ago, Manny Tavan said:

The only thing that gets adjusted is the number of seconds when the effluent gets added to the tank. 2 seconds every 200 seconds is the starting amount and you go up from there. From what I've read the DKH of the effluent is 50-60.

Ok - that is interesting.  I had the impression that was controlling the C02 inlet as opposed to the effluent rate.  Definitely a different beast if they are metering the CO2 by virtue of the float valve.  Will need to dig into this at some point to better understand what they are doing.  Thanks for the info!

7 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Ok - that is interesting.  I had the impression that was controlling the C02 inlet as opposed to the effluent rate.  Definitely a different beast if they are metering the CO2 by virtue of the float valve.  Will need to dig into this at some point to better understand what they are doing.  Thanks for the info!

metering co2 is how deltec and dastaco are set up as well

skip to 12:00 for an explanation

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I believe the Co2 supply is constant using a regulator. There is a float valve that detects when there isn't enough CO2 in the mix. the pH is not monitored at all. The only thing that gets adjusted is the number of seconds when the effluent gets added to the tank. 2 seconds every 200 seconds is the starting amount and you go up from there. From what I've read the DKH of the effluent is 50-60. 

Not really, if there is a back pressure it affect the supply line of CO2 also will depend on quality regulator.

Having PH controller helps automate the CO2 injection by controlling PH inside the chamber. Depending on media 6.8 ph will be sufficient to melt the media.

I have read up on those auto calrx before. Honestly though, with the kamoer pumps and an apex ph controller you get the same amount or automation for a lot less money.

Dialing it in is as simple as speeding up or slowing down the kamoer. The apex will adjust co2 as needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

For those concerned about aesthetics, Geo is now offering custom color combinations.  This would match my Apex and plumbing nicely....🤓

76986934_3443421792336461_1661276062849433600_o.jpg

I can't remember where, but i recently read that having too much orange plumbing and nick nacks can cause STN in acropora.   Something to be aware of.  

• Haha 1