3D Printer Ideas/Builds

NateDawg

The first thing I'd like to put in here is how I repaired a maxspect gyre magnet shaft. 

This shaft had its magnet swelled up and cracked from using vinegar to clean it.20200111_225548.jpg

I first took off the protective plastic shell and scraped off all of the rust and sanded the corroded magnet down to it's original size of about 13mm in diameter.20200111_233005.jpg

Then I cleaned and measured all of the magnet shaft diameters so I could build a 3d print of a new shell.20200111_233416.jpg

I then coated the magnets with a light bit of oil and glued the two shells on it with some Cyanoacrylate glue and let the harden.20200112_155615.jpg

Once they were cured, I added  a little more glue to all the seems and then sanded down the impeller shaft till it was smooth(ish).20200112_160719.jpg

Then put everything back together tested the pump, and it works! I have the impeller sitting in saltwater for a couple weeks to see if it sealed properly. But if it did, I ended up saving about $50-$60 for a new impeller!20200112_170649.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Wow!  Another reason I think I may need to get a 3D printer at some point.  Nice work!

Thanks!, I don't think I could go back to not having one, it does take some practice but it can sure pay off sometimes. Now I just have to wait and see if its sealed enough to be usable in an aquarium environment.

• Like 1