Hello! My names Jordan, I'm in the portland area. Abit about my reading hobby, I've been in freash water and learning about saltwater for years. My first Reefing tank I set up a little over a year ago and its going really strong. It's a 90gal with a 30gal sump. If theres any need to know tips about sw tanks you feel I should know, I'd be happy to hear them! But for now here's a picture of my tomato clown in my RBT anemone :) Also i have 2x ai 26 hydras and was curious about where other reefers have their setting spectrum to? Thank you for your time!

IMG_0934(1).jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Jordan! There many things I can think of but if I had to pick one. I would be consistent with your parameters. Instead chasing a certain like keeping your alkalinity at 9dkh and going from 8 to 9dkh. It might just be better to run a little lower like 8-8.5. Corals like consistency over higher numbers.

44 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Welcome Jordan! There many things I can think of but if I had to pick one. I would be consistent with your parameters. Instead chasing a certain like keeping your alkalinity at 9dkh and going from 8 to 9dkh. It might just be better to run a little lower like 8-8.5. Corals like consistency over higher numbers.

Thank you Gumby! Actually you brought up something I've been struggling with, I'm pretty on top of my parameters for instance my ph doesn't leave 8.3 and my calcium stays at a consistent 420 but I've been really struggling to raise my dkh. I dont know how to buffer for just dkh, but its always fluctuating between 5 and 7 and I have both a red sea and api test kit and both read out the same results. Do you know of something that can just buffer for dkh?

2 hours ago, Jordie_bee said:

Thank you Gumby! Actually you brought up something I've been struggling with, I'm pretty on top of my parameters for instance my ph doesn't leave 8.3 and my calcium stays at a consistent 420 but I've been really struggling to raise my dkh. I dont know how to buffer for just dkh, but its always fluctuating between 5 and 7 and I have both a red sea and api test kit and both read out the same results. Do you know of something that can just buffer for dkh?

I dose BRS 2-part, which is actually 3 different components:  soda ash for alkalinity, calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride.  These come in powder form you mix with RO/DI water.  To raise the alkalinity you just add additional soda ash to the tank.  Use the BRS calculator to enter your current parameters, tank volume, and desired parameters.  It will tell you how much to add:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

3 hours ago, Jordie_bee said:

You could add a little alk to your ATO to slowly bring up the alk in your tank. If your not dosing daily yet, and your tank is consuming alk you may want to add 2 dosing pumps and start dosing alk and cal. The kamoer dosing pumps are cheap and people seem to be liking them. Reef Builders actually just said they are in top 10 reefing products of 2019. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oregonic said:

You could add a little alk to your ATO to slowly bring up the alk in your tank. If your not dosing daily yet, and your tank is consuming alk you may want to add 2 dosing pumps and start dosing alk and cal. The kamoer dosing pumps are cheap and people seem to be liking them. Reef Builders actually just said they are in top 10 reefing products of 2019.

Thank you Oregonic I've been saving up for some dosing pumps but I also have to pay for some repairs for my car but I didnt even know about kamoer pumps, this will be way more manageable!

16 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I dose BRS 2-part, which is actually 3 different components:  soda ash for alkalinity, calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride.  These come in powder form you mix with RO/DI water.  To raise the alkalinity you just add additional soda ash to the tank.  Use the BRS calculator to enter your current parameters, tank volume, and desired parameters.  It will tell you how much to add:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

And until I can get them I'll definitely look in to BRS, mixing all my buffers in ro/di water is how I normally do it and used to so once I completely understand how to use dosing pumps I'll probably go this route thank you SuncrestReef! This was all alot of help :) thanks you guys!! 

• Like 2

You can also use baking soda to raise your alkalinity. Depending on your pH you may want to bake it first. Google and then read thoroughly, Randy Holmes-Farley Two Part dosing article. Any understanding of dosing key parameters should start there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 1/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Higher Thinking said:

You can also use baking soda to raise your alkalinity. Depending on your pH you may want to bake it first. Google and then read thoroughly, Randy Holmes-Farley Two Part dosing article. Any understanding of dosing key parameters should start there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the advice I've been doing a lot of reading and it's been a real improvement on my understanding! Proud to say my alkalinity has gone steadily up to 8 and hasn't fluctuated back down before I buffer again for ph and calcium. 

On 1/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, Demandrid said:

Welcome !!

On 1/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, MERKEY said:

Hello, I am new also.  Good looking nem and clown!

Thank you for the warm greetings and the compliment :) I'm really happy with how my nem hasn't lost its bubble even with the fact the tomato clown is quit the aggressive hoster. Though it is cute when he goes and feeds his home during feeding time I'll try to get a video of it next time to share!