Howdy from Eugene

Oasisreefling

Hey friends, I'm Mike. I've been out of the hobby for about 6 years. Previously kept mixed reef about 5 years and about a decade of salt/fresh/palidarium. I've lived in a tiny house these lasr 6 years and haven't had the room...

Until I got a betta bowl, which quickly turned into an emergent planted tank and now I'm doing some heavy mods to a fluval spec 5 for a mixed pico which will some seed a larger tank.

I'm hoping to sync up with local folks for frags, because the fish stores really are one of Oregon's least favorable points.

• Like 1

That's great! The more I look on here the more I see everybody is the portland greater area.

I'm going to go ahead and fill out the questionnaire for the drawing...

How did you hear about Pnwmas?

search engine

How long have you been in the hobby?

7 years, not including an equal hiatus.

Who inspired you start up a tank?

I was abalone diving when I was 14 and pulled an ab with several barnacles on it. I used mortons salt and they died but the seed was planted.

What size aquarium or aquariums

do you have?

Currently a high tech 5g pico reef I'm building and a low tech planted.

What livestock do you have?

Dreams

What is your dream fish?

Either a Desjardins tang or a school of anthias.

What is your dream coral?

Individually I love ricordias. Though in a larger tank a mix of plate montis and branching stonies of good color is my favorite.

Anything else you would like to add?

I'm into trade/purchase from Creswell to Albany, Florence to Oakridge. Im looking for the nicer pedigrees because my pico is intended as a seed tank.

Also I'm a contractor if you have any questions regarding your home I'm always happy to help the community with an opinion.

•  

I do think there are a few members from points South - like Salted Waffles - but definitely a high concentration in PDX.  If you have taken a look at the members map feature, there is a decent sized group up in the Corvallis area as well.  This is all "self reported" data and not exhaustive so there are definitely members who don't show up there.  Maybe put yourself "on the map" and some others from the area will be encouraged to do so as well.

• Thanks 1

Hey friends, I'm Mike. I've been out of the hobby for about 6 years. Previously kept mixed reef about 5 years and about a decade of salt/fresh/palidarium. I've lived in a tiny house these lasr 6 years and haven't had the room...
Until I got a betta bowl, which quickly turned into an emergent planted tank and now I'm doing some heavy mods to a fluval spec 5 for a mixed pico which will some seed a larger tank.
I'm hoping to sync up with local folks for frags, because the fish stores really are one of Oregon's least favorable points.
Man, I don't know where you're shopping, but this area has premier LFS shopping opportunities. Everything I read online just reinforces that. I'm always seeing people complain about not having access to this or that fish, coral, etc. If something can be bought, I can nearly guarantee I could get it from the local reef shop. You might need to branch outta Eugene, though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah exactly. PDX sounds like selection is good the more I read this forum. But the internet seems like a better option when you factor the time in.

You've got Bert in Corvallis (Reef Oasis). You might drop him a line with what you're after, he can likely accommodate. My first few years in the hobby I got more coral from him than anywhere else. Him and Garrett at TPA in Salem. Once I moved north it's been all Cuttlefish and Coral, well maybe 95% [emoji6]. If you want to make a road trip out of it, you could stock your entire tank(s) in one day. As budget allows, of course.

• Like 1

Good to know there's a place in Corvallis, and another Oasis (Oasis is also part of my company's name)! Im in the coast hills so its actually about the same distance to me as Eug. Where on earth do you get cuttlefish? That would be COOL. Do you have a tank journal on here?

Cuttlefish and Coral is the name of a reef shop here in Portland. Ironically, they don't dabble much in Cuttlefish anymore. They do however, have some of the best selection of corals in the area. I'll link my build thread below (sorry, no Cuttlefish):

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/45644-wife-okayed-a-new-tank-she-didnt-say-how-big/&share_tid=45644&share_fid=1820&share_type=t&link_source=app

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, I’m new to this hobby (less than a year) it’s something I’ve wanted as a kid! But man is it a lot of work! But very rewarding as well. I’m also in the Eugene area and am always interested in picking up some frags, preferably lps or beginner sps (since I’m still learning) So If anyone is willing to make room in their tank I’m always interested in purchasing 😬 Lfs here have lessened their variety of frags and or fish (at least that I’ve noticed).  I do try to stop in different shops when I can get out of town but that’s not very often. Nice to meet everyone!! Happy reefing!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...