Greetings

Thomas91998

Hi Everyone --

Just joined the community the other day and at some point in 2020, I'll be looking at starting a reef tank. I had a variety of freshwater tanks in the past and have a thriving pond in the back yard but stopping at a local aquarium shop with my kids a few years back and seeing an active reef tank got me hooked. I have been learning all I can (off and on) since. I am always open to new ideas and best practices. I live in the Portland, Oregon area. 

Thank you all and I look forward to learning more!

-Thomas

• Like 2

Welcome Thomas!  I think a lot of us here came via a long history of freshwater tank keeping.  Sounds like you are off to a good start reading up on as much as you can before deciding what to start with.  As you will probably see, there are lots of different approaches and ways to be successful - best bet is to find one that you think matches your "style" for maintenance/upkeep and then be patient.  As many of us have learned... nothing good happens fast in this hobby 😄

• Like 2

Welcome Thomas. Best thing you is what you are doing research. Once you get set up and your tank is cycled and want to try some starter corals. I am sure there are a lot of people that can help you out. Keep us up to date on your search and feel free to ask questions.

• Like 1

Welcome! You've come to the right place. I'd be happy to give you some free starter corals when your tank is ready, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. When I was first starting out on the forums sometimes there were questions I'd be scared to ask or maybe seemed silly but I quickly found there's a lot to learn in this hobby and having a place like this to help each other and be able to ask those questions is amazing. I look forward to seeing pictures of your tank once you do take the plunge! I think having experience with freshwater can definitely give you a bit of an advantage over someone starting never have owned a tank, knowing about cycling, general tank maintenance etc. I recommend reading threads of everything you can think of on different saltwater forums, and find out the must-haves for a saltwater (skimmer, ATO are a couple that come to mind) whether you'd like to start with a fish only tank or immediately start with some easier corals, if you want to buy all new or maybe start with a nice used complete setup or buy separate items and build your own tank. You should consider the tank build thread once you do start! Adding pictures, and being able to ask questions as you go is super helpful. 

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Edited by TaylorW
  • Like 2