FOWLR setup question(s)

Gort69

I'm sure I missed the resource somewhere, so I'll ask it here: I'm looking to set up a 75 - 120 gal FOWLR. My arm's been twisted enough, so I'm going with a sump. What equipment should I get so that I won't have to replace any when (if) I morph the tank to a reef?

I like reefbreeders led lights or you can get a couple cheap ebay black box leds. If it's gonna have a large bioload then I recommend a protein skimmer (reef octopus are great, or to save some $ sca aquariums make good skimmers). 2 200w heaters and an inkbird temp controller. An auto top off is a must! A couple of 800+ gph wavemakers (a little bigger if your planning on sps(hydor koralia are nice and cheap)). Return pump. I like a nice refugium for chaeto and pods so that'll need a cheapo plant led from Amazon. And lots of live rock! There's always more stuff to buy but that's a start

Edited by xxkenny90xx

I have an entire setup I was going to put together as a fowlr, stand needs to be sanded and painted and you would need some power heads but it’s a 105 gallon rimless dsa tank, emerald ruby 36 sump, ATB skimmer, brand new red pvc plumbing with ball valves, unions, bulkheads etc. I spent almost 200 on plumbing alone. 2 black box LEDs, light hanger that bolts to the back of the stand, heater, etc. I’d sell the entire setup for 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/23/2019 at 7:28 PM, PowderBlue said:

I have an entire setup I was going to put together as a fowlr, stand needs to be sanded and painted and you would need some power heads but it’s a 105 gallon rimless dsa tank, emerald ruby 36 sump, ATB skimmer, brand new red pvc plumbing with ball valves, unions, bulkheads etc. I spent almost 200 on plumbing alone. 2 black box LEDs, light hanger that bolts to the back of the stand, heater, etc. I’d sell the entire setup for 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya Powderblue - shall I PM you about your setup?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Gort69 said:

I'm sure I missed the resource somewhere, so I'll ask it here: I'm looking to set up a 75 - 120 gal FOWLR. My arm's been twisted enough, so I'm going with a sump. What equipment should I get so that I won't have to replace any when (if) I morph the tank to a reef?

Hi and welcome!  Lighting and flow are the biggies that are typically needed to be upgraded when going from fowlr to reef.  If you can swing it, I would get some reef-spec lighting (LEDs) and flow that can both be turned down while you are running fowlr, and turned up when you start adding corals.  Well-sized protein skimmer is probably helpful for both.