Salutations & Merry Christmas!

Gort69

Returning to the obsession after a long pause. I went against advice and trued to start reef-keeping with a Nano 34 AIO. Despite all my efforts, it did not go well for the inhabitants. I'm negotiating with Clear Fabrications for a new tank, most likely a 48-inch 75 gallon & sump.

Right now I'm thinking FOWLR to begin with. I don't want to buy equipment twice; so I'm looking for advice so the gear I begin with will serve me well when and if I morph to a full reef.

Edited by Gort69
spelling

Good to see you back into it. Can you be more specific what kind of equipment you would like advice on? Also if you go into the archives that may help with some questions that might have be answered. Any that you don't find feel free to ask. I will get you signed up for the December membership frag drawing.

Good luck with the return!  FOWLR is definitely a bit easier to maintain but might as well plan for converting to a reef if don't want to end up swapping out equipment later.  As for advice on gear, a lot does depend on where you think you might end up done the road re livestock and how you want to approach things like nutrient control (refugium, algae scrubber, skimmer) and parameters (dosing, reactor?) and automation (combined or individual controllers, manual).  There aren't really "right and wrong" answers but having an idea what approach works best for you before you start is a good idea.  Like Gumby mentioned, lots of good constructive conversations around these topics in the archives so worth spending some time looking through those.

15 hours ago, Gumby said:

Good to see you back into it. Can you be more specific what kind of equipment you would like advice on? Also if you go into the archives that may help with some questions that might have be answered. Any that you don't find feel free to ask. I will get you signed up for the December membership frag drawing.

Thanx for the advice. I'll definitely peruse the archives.