triton method without a skimmer???

sourmashpdx

Has anyone tried it? I'm currently running a ~10 gallon fuge with chaetomorpha on my reefer 350 with fritz two part but thinking of switching to the triton method. I really don't like running a skimmer and I want to keep the big section of my sump dedicated to the refugium. Can anyone think of a reason this would be problematic? My refugium currently keeps up with my tank's nutrient output but I do a ~25% water change weekly. I don't mind doing water changes, I'm mostly just trying to maintain minor and trace elements to support the corals and chaeto. Any thoughts? I'll probably give it a shot but would love to know what others experiences with triton method have been. 

no specific triton experience here, but read a lot about it. I think saying 'triton with weekly water changes' is a bit like saying 'triton without triton'. But if what you're getting at is to keep doing what you're doing, plus doing a quarterly triton ICP and dosing accordingly, I think that's a perfectly great idea. One thing I'd say though, is to do an extra test on fresh saltwater.

The point is: if they say your manganese is low (totally random example) and to dose something accordingly, but your salt mix has that element low, then you'll rapidly wipe out any dosing with the big weekly water changes. You'll either need to decide to ignore things in the results that are at odds with your new salt water or you'll need to make corrections to your new saltwater...in some cases, this might be a tough decision.

• Like 1

Triton without triton.. that's pretty funny actually.

If you are changing that much water weekly I dont think you would need a skimmer... or a triton test really.

It all boils down to nutrient in and nutrient out. If you have enough macro to export nutrients, dont see it as a problem

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts! I’m still on the fence about trying it versus another dosing regiment for the tank/fuge. I wouldn’t object to doing fewer or smaller water changes either, but that’s not the main motivation for considering the triton additives. It just seems if they’re formulated for supporting the minor/trace element demand of a large refugium it might be a good option for my setup.