Tang question

stephanie

I currently have a 180 6'x2'x2', I am wanting to got to a 4'x4'x2'. Do you think that the Tangs will have enough swimming room? I plan to put the rock work in the center so they can swim around it.  As of now I have a large hippo tang, Good size blonde naso tang, yellow tang and a few other fish.

Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_3624.JPG

I think you will be fine with that many tangs in a 4x4.  Even though it is not as long, there is still a lot of room.  I would make sure that you have plenty of rock work outside of that in the middle.  One of the big reasons behind tangs not doing well in a smaller tank is the lack of territory that each fish can claim.  Tangs are very very territorial.  The seem to memorize the entire tank and the divy it up.  Some tangs get large areas and some (scopas) just gets pushed from area to area.  

I just dumped eight tangs in my 8' 240 last night.  A hippo, sohal, achillies, lemon peel, purple tang, desjardini, scopas, and blonde naso.  They were all just swimming together and looking around at things.  They were literally schooling.  This morning, the 7" hipppo... who knows where he is.  The desjardini was in full on "look at my fins mode" and the Scopas was cruising back in forth basically quoting liam nelson movies.  

I only need two more tangs for the complete house of tang collection.  Jeff just ordered me a Maculiceps and a Fowleri !!!  I am soo excited!  We really are sooo lucky to have cuttle fish!! 

Sounds like a great menagerie of tangs! I hope to put a couple more in, but we will see how it works out. I have a 55 gallon drumDo you a  of rock waiting to go in the new tank when ever I get it. 😃 Do you have pictures up of your tank? I just saw something on cuttle fish. I live in Redmond so it is quite a drive for me, but next time I am in Portland I will definitely be checking them out!

I could snap a picture of my tank but at this point, it is a 240 gallon hospital tank so it is bar bottom with a couple of rocks in it.  My tangs are carrying Ich so I have to treat them before I put them in the new system.  Cuttle fish is a tremendous store. Everything is very well priced and they have very very high quality corals that circulate through.  Also, with a little persistence they can order you any fish that you are looking for. 

I don't know if you are dead set o a cube or not but I am putting my 6 x 3 x 2 AGE custom rimless up for sale.  It is certainly an extremely nice tank.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...